Wireless network card HELP AAAAAGH

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scoobysnacks, Feb 27, 2007.

1. scoobysnacks

scoobysnacks Private E-2

Trying to sort my sisters laptop out. The wireless network adaptor was working just fine and dandy until this morning, when it refused to connect.

I've checked the network out and it works fine, so I've narrowed it down to the laptop. I think that there is a problem with the adaptor, as when you start the machine up the "wireless network" icon under the screen does not flash as it used to.

In the information for the adaptor it says "radio powered off" but when I select power on it still won't connect.

The computer has a proprietary connection manager, and when I attempt to turn on the power for the radio with that it brings up a message saying "wireless card power is selected off in BIOS, or by hardware switch"

This laptop (an IBM thinkpad R60e) does not have a hardware power switch for the card, and I've checked in the bios and it is set to on, so I'm a little confused.

I've downloaded the latest drivers from the net, and uninstalled/reinstalled the device in hardware manager and still no luck!

Anyone got any ideas? Is it possible the card has become partly detached within the case? Is it worth taking it to bits to find out? There are three small children in the house so it's more than likely the computer has suffered the odd bump or two!

It is still under warranty so if the worst happens she can send it back to be fixed, but that probably means no computer for two weeks!

The computer connects to the internet fine with a wired connection as well!

HELP!!!

Yours seriously confused

Scoobs

2. scoobysnacks

scoobysnacks Private E-2

Belay that message, apparently the Lenovo R60e DOES have a hardware switch for the wireless network adaptor, right on the front of the machine, staring you in the face! :cry

That's two hours of frustration, uninstalling and reinstalling things, only to find the darn thing wasn't switched on!

First rule of diagnostics, is it plugged in and switched on?

:cry :cry :cry

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds