Plugged 1394 cable into USB port, bad??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by darth, Feb 28, 2007.

1. darth

darth Private E-2

Hey just finished building/upgrading my computer with a Gigabyte DS3p board,

I didn't realize but i plugged the 1394 front cable into a USB port.

Then i booted it up but it didnt go any further than the XP boot screen... I realised my error whilst i was browsing through my case manual.

It says to "NEVER" plug the 1394 cable into a USB port....

Did i do any damage to anything? or is it ok since my computer was only on for like 15 seconds...?

thanks!

2. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Unplug it and fire it back up and see what happens...that's about the only way you can tell.

Atleast that's what I would do

If it is damaged...maybe you will get lucky and the place you bought it from has a no questions asked guarantee/return policy.

Roger

3. darth

darth Private E-2

Thanks Roger,

But how can i tell if it is damaged?

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

By this I take it you mean the cable from the firewire socket on the front of your case to a header on the motherboard.

Apart from observing the poor mobo design if the USB and firewire headers are the same I offer the following comments.

The larger firewire sockets carry data and power connections; the miniature ones designed for cameras only data. USB sockets carry power and data but differently configured.

The danger lies in connecting a device which expects to receive power from certain connectors in the socket to the wrong socket, thus aligning some data connectors with power. The danger is mostly to the external device, although in theory it could short and burn out the power pins in the socket supply.

So if you had nothing plugged in to your socket you are probably OK. Connecting your mobo header to an empty socket will not harm it.

Studio T

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds