newbie hd copy question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by godsmacked, Feb 28, 2007.

1. godsmacked

godsmacked Private E-2

ok so i have two pc's, this one running xp and another with a brand new still in the box hd. I dont have any os cd's and would prefer to not have to buy an os, can I copy the xp(and everything else) from this hd to the other hd using something like hd copy? will that work? will I then have two pc's running xp? if so is that legal? thanxx GS

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Unless you have a license for multiple use it is not legal. Once license, one computer. Since you don't seem to know if you have a multiple license, I'm guessing you do not, and as Majorgeeks doesn't support illegal copying, advice on how to do so won't be given in these forums.

I suggest you buy another license for the OS you wish to install :) Good luck.

3. godsmacked

godsmacked Private E-2

fair enough bro, I was told, and again i really know nothing about this, that according to the end user agreement you are allowed to make and install one copy on another computer if you are the principal user of both computers. I use this pc for everyday living and the other for high end audio work, so i was just wondering. certainly wont do anything illegal just wondering about that EUA. any truth to it?

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Taken straight from the Microsoft website.....I guess the person who told you that was attemtping to justify their own illegal use... ?

----

MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION (RETAIL) END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR MICROSOFT SOFTWARE
    Published: June 1, 2004

This End End User License Agreement (EULA) is for informational purposes only. There is no software accompanying the EULA.

IMPORTANT-READ CAREFULLY: This End-User License Agreement ("EULA") is a legal agreement between you (either an individual or a single entity) and Microsoft Corporation for the Microsoft software that accompanies this EULA, which includes computer software and may include associated media, printed materials, "online" or electronic documentation, and Internet-based services ("Software"). An amendment or addendum to this EULA may accompany the software. YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS EULA BY INSTALLING, COPYING, OR OTHERWISE USING THE SOFTWARE. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE, DO NOT INSTALL, COPY, OR USE THE SOFTWARE; YOU MAY RETURN IT TO YOUR PLACE OF PURCHASE FOR A FULL REFUND, IF APPLICABLE.

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of this EULA:

1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Software on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not be used by more than one processor at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds