H/Drive doing things by itself!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dagsky, Mar 1, 2007.

1. dagsky

dagsky Private E-2

Hi all!

Ok i have a problem, well at least i think i do! I've noticed more and more now that my Hard Drive is doing weird things by ITSELF!!

Basically wats happening is that my harddrive seems to be over active by itself!

You know the noise a h/d makes when you browsing your pc for a file, or like when your antivirus is scanning your h/d? Well thats what my hardrive sounds like every now and again!

I've checked my antivirus and spyware progs and they only run once a day between 7pm-8pm one after the other.

I have NO viruses or spyware on my pc according to Kapersky 6.0 and the latest Spyware Doctor. All versions are up to date.

I notice that h/d makes these noises at any time of the day even if i am just browsing the web or even doing a task that is not accessing the h/d. Fair enuf i could expect the h/d to make noise now and again but not for like 3-5 minutes wen it does do it!

I notice it makes the same noise when going into screen saver mode but i would expect it to make noise then!

My h/d is partitioned to drice c and d. Drive c contains all progs etc while drive d is just for d/l music and torrents.

Drive c is 86Gb in size with 50GB used and 36GB free( SATA)
    Drive d is 60Gb in size with 40Gb used and 20Gb free(SATA)

I notice that ALLOW INDEXING SERVICE is ticked for both drives.

I forgot to mention i tried to run the xp h/d error checking service and no errors were found on drive d BUT drive c it says windows could not complete the task!

The file system being used is ntfs for both drives.

I dunno if this is anything to worry about but advice will be appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

There will always be some disk activity while your computer is on. There are always programs running in the background, and some will access the hard drive.

You can minimize the number of programs running, and that should in turn minimize the disk activity caused by these processes. If you want to do that, I would recommend that you follow the steps in this post, as it will show you how to minimize background activity, and speed up your computer.

If the noise is simply becoming louder than it usually is, then it may be a sign of your drive dying. In any case, I would recommend you make a proper backup of all your date. It can never hurt, even if there isn't a problem.

3. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

Try speedfan as a diagnostic tool, hardware wise!

http://www.majorgeeks.com/SpeedFan_d337.html

Once installed, select the S.M.A.R.T tab and then the HDD in question from the dropdown box. This software can display your drives inbuilt 'smart' technology.
    Even perform an 'indepth online analysis'

Anyway, you should get a fair idea of its condition.....but yes, back up that data!

Regards..

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Program Bloat :mad :mad :mad

There was a time when you could put acrobat reader on a floppy and carry it around in you shirt pocket, use it as a coaster or to even up the legs on your milking stool. These days it's a 50 MB download, every three weeks or so.

What I mean is that so many programs now have HUGE automatic updates that 'work in the background' that it's hard to tell what is happening. Windows, Adobe, IE,Firefox, antivirus, firewall, mybestgame, media player, the list goes on and on.

Secondly you may have you may have a messenger, new, email service enabled?

The above are all automatic internet driven activities. You have also reported that you have the indexing service enabled. There have been instances lately of this suddenly adding 10s of gigabytes to the hard drive, causing snarlup.
    I can't find the thread at the moment perhaps some other Geek will refresh my memory. Have you any other scheduled tasks set you have forgoten about?

One final point you taken the sensible step of separating Windows and data - I usually advocate this. But you have entered the Windows downhill slope. By this I mean that Windows works best when the drive with Windows is less than half full, because of swopfiles etc. When there is less than 15% free space you get serious problems - be warned.

Studio T

5. dagsky

dagsky Private E-2

Hey thank you all for your replies!! I've d/l cc cleaner and in startup i have the following items that i dunno what is what so progs i don't recognise i'll ask for your help and tell me if they can go!!

HKCU RUN : eyebeam SIP Client - don't know what this is but i do have BT hub phone so this may be the service ir something to do with BT

HKCU RUN : ctfmon.exe C:windows/system32/ctfmon.exe

HKCU RUN : MSNMSGR C: progfiles/MSN messenger/msnmsgr.exe/background
    I hardly use msn messenger but dunno if it affects any other windows progs if i stop it from starting

HKLM RUN: NvcplDaemonRUNDLL32.exeC:windows/sytem32/Nvcpl.dll, NVstartup-- could this be NERO??

HKLM RUN : nwiz nwiz.exe/install

6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Eyebeam, you have or could have a VOIP phone.

ctfmon.exe -- microsoft office stuff -- not needed at startup -- not malicious

MSN Messenger should stop this at the program options, not the registry.

Nvidia don't touch

Non essential Nvidia 'extra' don't touch without good reason

StudioT

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds