Can't connect to internet unless

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Talt, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Talt

Talt Private E-2

A friend of mine has a HP Pavillion dv1000 series laptop with Roadrunner. The wireless is not set up yet but every time she opens internet explorer it will not connect to the internet unless she goes to tools/connections/Lan settings and munually uncheck 'Use a proxy server for your LAN'. Ok so she did that but then after reboot you have to do this again evertime you shut the computer off. I would think that setting would be saved. I don't use a laptop myself so thought I'ld ask you all. Any ideas???

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

She probably installed the RoadRunner software. In the Proxy settings, is it showing a SAS proxy or such?

3. Talt

Talt Private E-2

I'm not familiar with SAS proxy or proxy's at all for that matter but in her Proxy Settings all fields (HTTP/Secure/FTP/Socks) all have the same proxy address to use all with the same port. I deleted all these and a window came up telling me I would not be able to connect to the internet if I deleted these. Did it anyway but on next reboot they were all back and she had to manually uncheck Use a proxy server for your LAN again to get on the internet. I haven't a clue.

4. Kansas55

Kansas55 Private E-2

This may not be much help and my experience is limited, but in a recent class we were told that some computer security programs can change the connection proxy settings.

5. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

6. Talt

Talt Private E-2

:cry ,,,thnx for the replies...Man I really don't feel like going through that again. I did that a couple months back for a friends grandma. It's one thing on your own computer at home but someone else's computer at their house can get old. It may be time to teach her how to follow directions. :D

Come to think of it even though she has not had this computer for very long the security on it sucks. It has an older version of McCaffe antivirus that updates and windows firewall was turned off when I first looked at it.

Anyway, thnx again.

7. Talt

Talt Private E-2

Origianally I figured there was just a missing registry key that could be replaced that would allow that problem to save what you check or uncheck but I don't know where to look for that. Anyone know before I move on?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds