Server set up "Standards"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Divotdoc, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Divotdoc

Divotdoc Private E-2

Does anyone have any good links to articles about using standards to set up a server in a business enviroment?
    I am working with "the owner's son" who believes he is a techno wizard, and builds these boxes that are so out of the norm, and he can't explain what or why his methods of madness are other then, "I set that up that way because of the way Windows works." The program we are trying to support wants to reside, and really plays well with others if it is at the root of C or D. All I want is a server, with the OS partitioned off by itself, and a place where we can install, and function.

As an example, he puts the OS on Drive W on some machines, on Drive U on others, and on workstations it may be H through X. He has 4 way multi media cards that he plugs in while not on the company LAN and they decide they are now drives F, G, H, I, and he no longer sees the mapped drive to the initial H drive for shared accounting info, when he signs onto the network.

The owner is asking me for documentation on "standard set up. I know Microsoft has some info on Service Management function, and IT standards, but I was hoping one of the Major Geeks would have something I could share with the Daddy-o of this geek-wanna-be. HELP!:cry

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Looks like 'junior' is going for some job security! I feel your pain, I took over a work network a couple of years ago, and I had to redo all of it. Not sure how to help you, but I will look around and see if I can find anything.

Consider this a thread 'bump'! Can you give any details about the server, computers and all? What version of windows and such. Enough duct tape will keep him away from the computers!

E

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  3. Divotdoc

Divotdoc Private E-2

Thanks Fred. Seems dad know Junior is "challenged", but also want son to have a job.

This boy builds servers, and PCs from pieces and parts he finds at garage sales, ebay, and the computer store down the street. He doesn't even understand that a ghost image he made on PC A, may not be right for PC B.

I blasted a lovely note off to dad yesterday, and the accountant, and two others have threatened to quit since they can not perform their jobs with out a realiable pc.

Hopefully, dad will see that a 6 million dollar company can afford a certified pro, or at least someone that knows the correct way to map a drive, to come in and correct these PCs that are closer to Atari's.

Please keep me posted if you find any docs.

Thanks

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Heck, tell them to hire me! lol! Just joking, my experience is with small home/office networks. We had around 20 computers before my workplace downsized. Servers... yeah, I have seen a couple!

If you can give some details about the physical layout of the network, I am sure I can get you some links on how it should be set up. Size of the network, how many computers, stuff like that.

Once I get my little 'lab' set up, and learn some more about the Cisco stuff, I might can actually help you some.

E

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds