New Monitor & Battery BackUp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Oooops!, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Hi! Our power went out and I noticed something different with my new monitor. I have an Energizer Battery Backup and any time the power went off, my old monitor would stay on while I finish my task and shut the computer down properly.

However, with this new monitor, it doesn't stay on like my old one, it shuts off when the power shuts off. No chance of finishing any tasks like before, but if you look at the tower it was still powered. I ended up having to turn the computer off by pressing the on/off button on the battery backup. Never had to do that before. Am I missing a setting or something with this new monitor? I didn't have to do anything with the old.

Old
    View Sonic
    CRT Monitor
    E70FB
    17"
    1024x768

New
    Samsung
    Sync Master
    Flat Screen LCD
    225 BW
    22"
    1680x1050
    http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/monitor/lcd_widescreen/ls22dpwcbqxaa.asp
    Thanks!
    :)

2. oldandconfusedagain

oldandconfusedagain Private E-2 <i>emeritus</i>

Oooops
    obvious question...is the monitor plugged into one of the battery powered backup receptacles? one side of the backup is battery powered, while the other set of plugs is merely a surge protection device and will not keep power supplied to anything connected to those sets of receptacles. I normally connect my tower and monitor and other necessary electronics to the battery side and everything else to the surge side. you probably know this, but just a chance.
    as a side note: I bought an energizer backup 3 or 4 years ago. it failed after about 5 months. sent it back to energizer ( around 30-40 dollars as I remember) got the new replacement and it failed also after another 5 months. the heck with energizer and especially their customer service people and the hassle I went through getting the first one replaced. just rude people all around. have had an APC ever since and not one problem. still working fine. they can take their bunny rabbit and make stew.....I vote with my feet and have never purchased another energizer product. sorry for the rant. hope you get it working.

3. oldandconfusedagain

Oooops
    forgot, I believe there is also a separate reset switch for each side of the backup on that energizer. I can't remember now, but if everything on one side goes out, not just the monitor that could also be the problem

4. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

You're too smart for your own good! lol I feel like such an idiot, the monitor was um,..... ahem, plugged into the wrong side.
    :eek:

Thanks for stating the obvious, the bf was in such a rush to try out the new big *** (pardon my french) monitor, that the monitor was plugged into the wrong side. Actually, I don't think he knew about that. Myself, I forgot about it. I tested it by unplugging the battery backup to pretend that there was a power outage, and both the monitor and computer stayed on.

The Energizer BackUp Battery was actually a gift, kinda a neat thing to have, but with my computer use, not much need for it really, just surfing and e-mail. If it gives up on me, no worries. Thanks for the heads up though, I do appreciate it!

Thank you so much for taking the time to solve my silly problem.
    Much appreciated,
    Sincerely,
    Oooops
    ;)

5. oldandconfusedagain

Oooops
    glad that was all it was. happy that the UPS works well for you, as I am in the boondocks of colorado and know only too well about power outages. just my personal feelings about energizer and my experiences with their products.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds