Fdu Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CATWBARLM, Mar 2, 2007.

1. CATWBARLM

CATWBARLM Private E-2

Not any good at this kinda stuff a friend of mine told me if anyone could answer my question it would be on this site so here it is.I work on sock knitting machines and have a little bit of a problem.All of the machines in the plant that i work in use a floppy drive to load the program into the machines. When a floppy drive goes bad we haft to order one from the company that built the machines.I have tried off the shelf floppy drives but simply will not work when i put one in the machine cpu can not find the drive have removed the cover on drives and the disk motor is running but when the machine is searching for the program files the led light on the drive does not com on. After asking they told me that the floppy drives in the machines have a special chip in them and we would haft to buy the drives from them. Here is the problem we all know all textile and funiture jobs are going over seas and im just trying to help our company save some bucks and help sve my job they charge us $575.00
    US DOLLARS for a floppy drive this drive im looking at is made by TEAC CORP. MODEL#FD-235HG A497 PART#193077A4-97 SERIAL# P307697. I found a TEAC MODEL FD-235HF 6240 that i tried in place of the orginal floppy drive this one would not work either.DOES ANYONE HERE HAVE ANY IDEAS HOW WE CAN OVER COME THIS PROBLEM.

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Sometimes , a stupid , but obvious question, can be an answer.
    Just a suggestion, - Have you thought of, or ,can you copy the floppy contents onto a cd?.
    I mean by putting the floppy into the working floppy drive of even a home machine, and then copying to cd, - Providing it is a backup, emergency disc, and not infringing copyright.

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

um bak? shes talking about a sewing machine, very unlikely that the sewing machine has a cd drive. Now to the problem at hand, as far I have seen, (my aunt had similar problems) nothing can be done but use an originaly manufactor's drive.

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

:banghead
    I am a noon.roflmao
    I will make the excuse, that the the talk of cpu, and floppy got me .
    I would think I:eek: BY THAT.
    Thanks for nipping in and putting it right
    I will go back to zzz

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Floppy drives ARE repairable, recalibratable whatever. It is just not normally economic. But at nearly $600 a throw - I live on the wrong side of the ditch. In the days (before pcs) when computers only had floppy drives, apart from the lucky few with 'winchesters' , floppy repair was commonplace. Usually this meant resetting the zero mark which moves over time as the mechanism constantly rams the read head against it. Since your works is mechanical in nature perhaps there is a mechanic with enough nouce to read an (older) repair textbook or manual, Stephen Bigelow come to mind as an author.

Studio T

6. CATWBARLM

CATWBARLM Private E-2

Thanks for the info on repair however what I'm looking for is for someone to explain to me if a floppy drive uses a chip like an eprom that is programed when it is built so that it can only be used for certain things.I have tried replacing the original floppy drive with new ones and old ones and have seen lots of floppy drives some made with places on them to use jumpers and some with none at all. I have never had a problem changing out a floppy drive on a desk top CPU no matter what brand you use they all work fine.
    As for a description of what a sock knitting machine it is a state of the art very expensive machine to make socks that I'm sure all of you folks out there are wearing.The machines we use avarge cost per machine is 22k each.
    Do any of you now where i can find repair manules and info on how the programs in them work.

7. deimospg

deimospg Private E-2

I have a Juki AMS 210D with the same floppy drive problem - did you find a cheaper solution yet?

please email me at<snip>

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2012
  8. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

@ deimospg

Welcome to MGs.:)

This is a 5 year old thread. If you have a question, you'll need to start a new thread of your own with details.

9. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi,

As far as I know there is no special chip in any floppy. There is a Device Seclect jumper. If the cable has a "Twist" (Cable Select) the jumper is on Device 1. If no twist it's on device 0. Have a close look at the present drives. You should find the jumper near the back edge of the PC board. If you find it plug a standard drive the same and give it a try.

Good Luck, Jim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds