A little baffled

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by INeedAGig1210, Mar 3, 2007.

1. INeedAGig1210

INeedAGig1210 Private E-2

Alright, I just got done installing Vista from XP Pro. Now, I have done everything I can think of to try and fix this and I am out of idea's, but now that I am actually running and using Vista, I have one of my three HDD's and my ODD not being detected within the OS, though, they do show up in my BIOS. What could be the problem?

2. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

Did you 'format' and do a clean install, or did you 'upgrade', over the top?

Have you tried manually upgrading device drivers in question?

What shows up in 'Device Manager'?

Regards.. ;)

3. INeedAGig1210

It was a clean install, an 'upgrade' is not available if you're using Windows XP Pro.

4. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

And thank the good man above for that!

Regards..

5. INeedAGig1210

? Any idea's on a solution?

6. INeedAGig1210

Any idea's?

7. INeedAGig1210

Man, peeps around here used to be a lot quicker with responses. I'm not trying to spam this thread, this is just a very annoying problem, the one hdd that's not being detected is the one HDD that has 30gb of my music stored on it and I need my ODD.

8. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

You never answered my other 2 questions

Regards...

9. INeedAGig1210

In answer to what shows up in the device drivers, nothing for an ODD, and just the two HDD's that are detected and nothing for the third. As for manual, yes for the ODD, no luck.

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Is this HDD drive SATA or IDE, how is it formatted, FAT32 or NTFS?

Is it an external HDD?

Had you been adjusting anything in the case like moving HDDs etc around, if so check your cableing and double check jumpers ( master/slave if IDE ).

What shows up in Disk Managment? ( Control Panel > System and Maintanence > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Under Disk Management ) do all your drives show, are they missing any drive letters, if so right click one and try and add a letter.

Any yellow ! marks in Device Manager, if so what?

As for optical, have you deleted it from Device Manager and rebooted to see if OS picks it up again?

11. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

Assuming as you say, all is above board within the BIOS then excluding physical deterioration of your HDD, there are more possible scenarios that may trigger the issues listed above:

- Due to the strict requirements of Windows Vista, the HDD controller may not be compatible with the new OS.
    - The driver you are using may be too old to be used with Vista.
    - The target disk for the installation is a dynamic one.
    - The file system can be damaged.
    - You are using FAT32 file system which is not compatible with Vista.

Regards...

12. INeedAGig1210

The drive is an IDE drive, NTFS, it is internal. I have not moved any of the HDD's from there XP location.

Both the HDD and the ODD are not displayed in any way under the Device Manager, but are displayed during the boot-up process.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds