RAM Upgrade problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by toad42013, Mar 3, 2007.

1. toad42013

toad42013 Private E-2

I tired to upgrade my RAM from 1 gig to 2 gig. I also tired to run it in dual channel. I had been running 1 gig in single channel 2x512. In the middle of loading windows the PC reboots. I have tired switching back to the way it was but no luck. I also cleared the cmos thinking that it was a bios issue.

stats
    Mobo ASUS A8V
    RAM 4x512 2 gig corsair
    video ATI x1300
    HDD Maxtor IDE
    HDD Maxtor SATA

Thanks for any help.

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Reading the manual, RAM installation in this board is quite tricky. Corsair is not on the ASUS approved list in the manual. This does not mean they are not good but if you look closely at the table, some memory modules from some manufacturers are not compatible.

Again from the manual the recommended for a single channel is to only populate the blue socket marked B1.
    For dual channel it says insert identical modules in all four sockets or sockets A1 and B1 only. That suggests you can't combine four modules in single channel mode.

Since you are trying to make non approved memory work you will need some patience and a little experimentation. At least you will not damage anything but inserting the wrong modules - it just may not work. this assumes you take proper antistatic precautions and do not crack the board with mechanical overstress.

Presumeably you can still access the BIOS. What exactly does it say about the modules and what memory setting options are available.?

Final thought. Make sure you have not disturbed any other connectors in the chageover.

Studio T

3. toad42013

toad42013 Private E-2

Ok here is an update on my problem. In the manual that came with my board it has my RAM listed as compatible. However on the ASUS site does not have it in the list. I fdisk the hdd last night. I now have it working with 512 sticks in the A1 A2 and B2. If I add the 4th stick in B1 windows will not load. I assume its a dual channel issue. Is it possable that im trying to push an old hard drive to fast? As for my Bios settings there are not many options but everything seems to be set to auto. I could not find any settings for modules but I will keep looking. Thanks for the help.

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Settings are often under spd, in Bios.
    If you download Everest home edition from
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
    Then run the program, and look under motherboard, , and memory, it will give a guide to settings advised for the ram you have - The Ram manufacturers site might tell you more.

5. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Corsair ram works fine on my A8V Deluxe rev2 and should do on the A8V also.

There is a long thread about this board on the overclockers.com forum where users have confirmed what ram actually works and for me this type of information is very much more important than what the manufacturers state.

In order to run dual channel the recommended by Asus is A1, B1 but the combination A2, B2 can also be tried and does work. Some user threads have confirmed that having failed with the former 2 combinations they have tried A1 and A2 and this has also worked.

One thing is for sure on this board is that you will not be able to run the ram at 400 with 4 modules ie populating all for slots, the board will not let you and it should drop down to 333. If memory serves me right you will also need to run 4 sticks in 2T mode.

As you are probably aware, to run in dual channel you need a matched pair of ram modules and not just another similar module even if purchased from the same manufacturer.

Good Luck

6. toad42013

toad42013 Private E-2

Ok I enabled 2T command and changed ram from 400 to 333. It now loads windows, with all 4 sticks in dual channel . I have not tried to run any programs yet but it looks like Its fixed thank you very much. If not I will post an update lol

7. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Well done. I don't think that you will have anymore probs using those settings.

A word of caution, I am not sure what cpu you are running on this board but be EXTREMELY careful about flashing your bios in the event that the Asus site suggests a higher bios version is needed to run a newer cpu. Similarly, to their ram advice, they bios suggestions should be taken with 'a pinch of salt' and additional care should be taken as some of their bioses are for lack of other words 'faulty'.

Good Luck

8. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Glad it has all worked out.
    It had been interesting reading the details from someone with more direct experience of this board, memory and manufacturer.

Dont forget to make a note of all your Bios settings. Noting what happened with the ones that didn't work might also be a good idea.

Studio T

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds