Soundcard/driver problem.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frankjc, Mar 3, 2007.

1. frankjc

frankjc Private E-2

Hi. I have a Dell Dimension 2350, and I am having problems with the soundcard. Every once in a while, the sound stops working, and when I go to device manager, there is an exclaimantion point next to "SoundMAX Intergrated Digital Audio". I reboot, and it usually starts working again. Does this mean I have a driver problem? The driver date is 12/19/2002. When I go to "properties", it says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".
    I found a newer driver on the Dell website dated 2/12/2003, I downloaded it, followed the instructions, and it did not install, or "update". It still lists the older driver. When I try to update the driver, it doesn't work. I try typing in where the driver is manually, and it won't go there. I try using the "browse" button, I can find it, but it still won't go there.

2. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Have you tried uninstalling the current driver prior to installing the new one.

In the first instance have a look in add/remove to see if there is something that looks like the sound driver. If not go to the device manager locate the sound entry, right click delete. Do that in safe mode.

Also make a note of the sound driver dets, name, etc and then run a search, find and delete those remants (if any).

Then reboot and install the new driver.

PS. Don't forget to take a system restore check point first just in case and just for good measure back up your registry too.

Good Luck

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds