Upgraded ram, computer reboots

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by problemswithvaio, Mar 4, 2007.

1. problemswithvaio

problemswithvaio Corporal

My friend upgraded his computer, so I don't know the exact specs of his rig at all actually, but I'll tell you the problem and post the specs as soon as possible. He upgraded his rim to 3gb, I know he's running windows xp, the problem is his computer started rebooting itself as soon as he had installed the ram, so he took it back at, works fine again. anybody have suggestions?

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Hard to tell you much without the specs of the machine. The obvious is bad or incompatible ram. Or possibly the motherboard does not support 3GB of ram. Have your friend try the new stick with only one of the other sticks (assuming he is running 3x 1GB). Or just try to boot with only the new ram. If it wont boot with only the new stick, and works with the other (I am assuming 2 sticks) I would guess bad/incompatible ram.

E

3. Docktor D

Docktor D Private E-2

Have to agree with Fred, I recently upgraded the RAM on my laptop from 512GB x 2 to 2gb 1gb x 2. Same problem as your friend computer reboots. Pulled one stick at a time. Defective RAM
    Regards
    Docktor D

4. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Yeppers on the above, plus the fact that the RAM sticks may not have been fully seated

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds