Obviously i have a problem the question is what!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bob_stefanio, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Bob_stefanio

Bob_stefanio Private E-2

I am running a compaq laptop i know its not designed for performance but it should be able to run some standard games like counter strike source and others at a decent rate even World of Warcraft ! i have double all the recomended specifications yet i get this terrible frame rate! I gave up for a while not getting anywere until yesterday i used the 3dmark benchmark program to test my system and got an abismal 123 i tweaked some settings and i got 125 not much performance there overclocked by 40mhz and got 127 then i notice a comparison option one other person has a system like me ... i mean its identical in every way except i have 1GB of ram while he has 512 yet his frame rate is double mine and his score was 203 the only diffrence i can see is the driver he uses is older can anyone help me its driving me nuts if i could get even another 10 fps out of it it would make my games so much better at the moment they run around 16-22 fps which is pathetic for anygame! the link to my results are below
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=1365069
    and here is the other guys system
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=358569

ANy help would be Really appreciated.

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

everything is fine for gaming EXCEPT the video card which it seems you may have overlooked. its definitely not designed for today's games and upgrading a laptop video card is not always possible. sometimes you can buy used ones on ebay or similar but i personally have no experience with messing around with laptop video cards so lets see if anyone else has something to add.

3. Bob_stefanio

Bob_stefanio Private E-2

Oh i am well aware that the graphics card is not for gaming i never intended it for but i do play the odd low powered older game none of todays bf2142 or anythin like that but what bothers me is it should run faster at least a little bit and the other guy has the same computer as me and is getting double my frame rates i cant even set my refresh rate to 75HZ could it be the drivers? how can i go back to older drivers can anyone direct me to drivers that actually worked well

4. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

its an LCD screen, dont mess with the refresh rate

id run something that actually is a reasonable test of your hardware, something like 3dmark03. 06 is just way too demanding.

maybe defrag your hard drive if you havent in a while and try it again. you guys most likely have different background programs and services running as well which will affect your performance despite having the same hardware.

5. Bob_stefanio

Bob_stefanio Private E-2

i have the minimum background processes running to maximise performance hardrive was defraged something just occured to me could the ram type have an effect he might have higher end ram then me since it is video shared?

6. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

ehh...its a possiblilty. both of you download Everest and check the latency of the memory. it will also help compare the rest of the specs.

i still think you should run 3dmark03, it will give u more realistic numbers to compare.

7. Bob_stefanio

Bob_stefanio Private E-2

Yes i ran 3dMark03 and im still at the bottom end as in just off the bottom at 700 points and systems similar to mine same processor and same graphics cards are about triple my score!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds