dual core, core duo? dual channel?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bloodnut, Mar 5, 2007.

1. bloodnut

bloodnut Private E-2

hey all,

my pc died the other day so need a new one on a tightish budget. (im in australia btw).

so could someone please explain to me what each of these is and the diffferences? im so confused. I used to have a small p4 2.8 ghz thing with 1 gig ram. i want at least 2 gigs of ram and a considerable raise in performance from my cpu.

any advice would be appreciated:)

cheers

tristo

2. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

3. bloodnut

bloodnut Private E-2

ta nightcrawler, one would think i might have thought of that alreadyy........ i feel stupid

cheers

4. aidan80

aidan80 Private First Class

Tight budget.. dual channel & dual core make me think of maybe an overclocked 805D with two sticks of DDR2 800 on maybe an Intel 975X MB maybe..?

Just an idea, don't know the prices down in AUS but in the US a Dual Core Pentium (2.66Ghz Stock) 805D (OEM) can be had for about 71.00 yankee beer tokens. A tasty wee bite of horse power for the cash considering with the correct cooling that beast could hit 3.6Ghz - 4.0Ghz easy! With the correct MB in place it could open the door for future upgrades.

Good Luck with the new computer! :D

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I wouldn't bother with 2 gigs of RAM unless you are a power user.

I installed 2 gigs on my Toshiba Tecra A7 laptop and very rarely use more than 500 megs.
    Nearly always have around 1.5 gigs free (therefore un-used).
    1 gig should save you some money. :D
    Make sure what you buy will operate on 1 memory stick, of 1 gig, and you can update to 2 gigs later, if need be.

Bazza

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Good advice, if XP was the current OS.

2gb is nice for Vista, there is no denying it.

You will be using 1gb easy without doing much.

7. bloodnut

bloodnut Private E-2

thanks guys, i dont think i will be upgrading to vista just yet.

and what i also meant by on the cheap was me still being able to use my old gear with the new mb and cpu.

agp vid card. x800xt
    ram 1 gig ddr333 1 gig ddr400
    same everything else.

i was thinking of a mb with 4 dimm slots. probably this one http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=775i65PE&s=Intel

and i want the pentium D 945

this good?

8. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Thanks for that, Adrynalyne. ;)
    First time I have seen that on startup, Vista needs nearly twice as much RAM as XP. Do I understand you correctly?

Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds