lap top

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by laurieB, Mar 5, 2007.

1. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

i'm gonna get a lap top yeh hey. :D im gonna start an interior design business.
    :p so i was thinking dell inspiron E1405,
    intel duel core processor (?), vista, 1GB shared duel channel DDR2 memory (?), 120GB hard drive, upgraded battery. $799

i will need a simple CAD. it will probably need to be 'wireless' as i am moving to the middle of nowhere. if anybody has any other ideas or knows a better deal, please advise. many thanks and aloha as always.

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Hi Laurie. Make sure you don't buy dual core, make sure it is dual 2 core if you have to buy dual core.

I have owned a dual core laptop (Toshiba Tecra A7) for 12 months.
    Had I known then what I know now, I would have bought a single core CPU laptop.:cry

I would recommend buying the fastest single processor CPU laptop you can get unless the sellers can guarantee, in writing, that both cores will be fully utilised in the programs you intend to use. Most software cannot fully use dual core, IMHO. Bazza

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  3. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

i dont understand 'duel core'. are you saying that its a gimick that cant be utilized in practice? i have a budget of $1,000. my needs are small and if my current puter is anything to go by, unless i get into the gaming craze, my puter will always be under utilized. please expand on your comment, if thats ok, so that when i call these companies i can ask the right questions.

many thanks for your reply bazza, i appreciate the help. much aloha

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

That is exactly what I am saying.
    Most times (nearly always), my Duo Core operates as a single core. :cry :p
    I don't know if Duo2Core is any more efficient. confused Others, please step in.;)

I think that you'd be better off with the fastest single core processor you can afford, unless you are power using more than 1 heavy CPU use program at a time.

I don't, therefore DuoCore was not my wisest choice. :eek:

As I said before, most (nearly all?) individual software does not take advantage of Duo (2) core, when it is running, IMHO.

Bazza

===

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Bazza is currently right, right nowe most software isn't 2 core optimized, but in the near future that should change as duel core is getting more and more cheaper. I wouldn't not by a duel core thinking you may not need it, id look at let that depend on your budget and what you find, lots of software can be told to run on differnet processors, ie run two differnt apps and then tell one to use the other processor/core.

6. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

bearing in mind that this is going to be used exclusively for my business, that ms office, a simple cad, web page, etc is all that this will be used for, will i ever need 'duel core'? at the moment i was simply looking at the cheapest. so make a recommendation. what computer? who sells it? how much is it? obviously i need reliability. it needs to write cds (which if i'm not mistaken all of them do). i may also use it as a personal (very) store and writer for my own music (and 'give' this one over to my family) but really my needs are so simple. bear in mind that the business will only operate from the big island, so its not like im setting up a multi-national co. or anything. i can only do this the once, so whatever decision has to be final.
    if i look at the way this puter is utilized, it stores all photos (hundreds of them), all music (probably thousands), three/four 'guest accounts', a variety of programmes like picasa and google earth, and i have something like 70% unused space and memory. as far as i can tell, the only reason that puters use the capacity they are designed for is for games? (please correct me if i'm wrong) i am recieving a grant for this, so the good news is that its not my money. the bad news is that this is a one off offer. i know i am asking a great deal to say 'what shall i buy?' as if this was some kind of consumer advocacy
    forum, but in truth...who else do i ask? the 'near future' isnt going to help, i need to make a decision, need to install a cad programme, etc. within the next few weeks. i am blinded by choice, and totally ignorant. (but very excited, like a puppy with two tails) :)

7. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

What im trying to get across, is find a pc you like and in your price range, if by cad you mean computer aiding drafting, then thats a demanding program. Just don't let duel core scare you. Check out this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-core_(computing) it talks about duel core disadvantages and benefits.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds