CD ROM Not Detecting disks!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mini-Geek, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Mini-Geek

Mini-Geek Private E-2

I have came across a problem where when i put a CD into the drive
    it just won't detect the disc whatever I do. I have cleaned the disc restarted the computer ect.
    but nothing seems to be happening confused !

Hope to hear from you and fix my CD drive :)

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

is it a burned cd or normal cd?

3. Mini-Geek

Mini-Geek Private E-2

Its a normal cd with my printer software on

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Same problem with other cds or just this one?

5. Mini-Geek

Mini-Geek Private E-2

Same problem with any discs

6. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

In the my computer section, does your cd drive show up?

7. Mini-Geek

Mini-Geek Private E-2

The actual drive shows up however any CD's in the drive dont

8. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Hey you still having problems? What happens when you put a disc in and double click on the drive icon in explorer? Does it act like a blank disc or just do nothing?

9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

10. betamike25

betamike25 Private E-2

Have you managed to fix this problem. if so how, my pc is doing exactly the same, let me know if anything sorted

11. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Try Studiots suggestion, see if you can play an audio cd to play through the headfone jack.
    #2 Today, 18:38
    studiot
    Staff Sergeant Join Date: Jan 2007

Re: cd rom net reading discs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cd drives die like everything else. If you can't get an audio CD to play through the headphone jack (i.e. without the pc at all ) it is dead and needs replacing.
    You may get a cleaner cd to help.

Studio T

12. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

One thing to try in these instances http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/en-us delete the upper and lower filters from the registry.

Note: its worth while either backing up the whole registry or just the protions your about to delete, to do the keys your about to delete right click export.

13. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Just for the record if a player may not play an audio disc it doesn't nessecary mean its dead.

14. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Except that they seem to be more likely to die than most components! (That's not surprising when you think about it. The degree of precision required to place the read head is amazing, but they're not exactly ruggedly built.)

15. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If you use somewhere like driveragent.com, to check your system, it can help to tell you if a driver update is available for it (and all other drivers)

16. Mini-Geek

Mini-Geek Private E-2

Thanks for the help people,

I tried lots of things and ime prety sure its dead now, Im not suprised ive had that drive for a good five years now. I think i have a spare one in the loft.

17. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

The best way I know of to test the CDROM drive is to boot a CD on it. If it boots, the drive is working so the failure to read a disk in windows is software or driver related. If thats the case. Halo had the answer in post 12.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/en-us

Its a simple registry fix. I've seen it many times after burner software or digital camera software installations.

18. Mini-Geek

Mini-Geek Private E-2

Thanks , Il try that unfortunatley i havnt got XP because i cant upgrade it through my CD with it on so ile have to do it manualy :S

Il tell you if it works

19. Mini-Geek

Mini-Geek Private E-2

I've Tried halo's and Shnerdly's Ideas. But they dont work. On the walk through it says open "control" and then "class" however there isnt a folder called class the closest folder to it is "deviceclasses" is this the same? Also "deviceclasses" doesnt contain " {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} "

Also My CD-ROM drive will play music CD'S through both the headphone port and the speakers, So now i'm just confused lol :D

I Havn't deleted or edited anything yet.

Can Any one Help?

20. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

What was the last thing you installed on it before the problems started?
    You try uninstalling the last program that was installed before the problems started.

21. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If you tried hugh750, s last program uninstal, and still had no luck- and Windows filters fix (registry item not found) then we all forgot to ask - What operating system - 98/ 98se/me/2000 ?
    Is it an scsi drive ?
    Have you tried changing the IDE cable (in case its faulty )
    Is it set to master/ slave- and have you one cd rom drive ?
    Have you tried to go to my computer - select cdrom , go to driver, uninstall, shut down , and restart - this will often replace a corrupt driver.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds