installing scanner software

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mastermiaow, Mar 6, 2007.

1. mastermiaow

mastermiaow Private First Class

I recently bought a Canon N656U scanner off ebay. With the benefit of hindsight I should have got one that came with CD drivers and software :(
    I have downloaded the relevant executable programs which are drivers folder ,computer to communicate with scanner folder,scangear toolbox folder, uninstall scanner software folder and uninstall scanner utility folder.
    I installed the drivers without too many problems. I assume things are working because when scanner is plugged into USB port and computer boots up, scanner makes a noise and a light inside goes on or off.
    After screwing around for several hours trying to install then uninstall then reinstall the software I am getting nowhere. I have unzipped all the software.exe folders and they were automatically put in c/windows/temp directory apart from uninstall scan software which was put in program/files/canon. I clicked the setup.exe file and everything went well apart from it stating that it could not locate the uninstall file and that it may not be possible to uninstall the program.
    Two main problems:
    1.There is a scanner icon in the system tray and when I click it, a toolbar comes up however when I click on a function eg "copy", "unable to open twain server".
    2. I have tried to uninstall via add/remove programmes and am told that install shield is unable to locate the installation log file. I have since redownloaded and installed software exe. folders (apart from drivers) hoping that the this will make a new log file but no luck.

Many thanks for your help

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds