connecting 2 PCs via modems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gregm122, Mar 6, 2007.

1. gregm122

gregm122 Private E-2

Hello everyone, i consider myself to have a fairly thorough understanding of computers though i have limited knowledge of networking. i was hoping you all would be able to help me with my problem.
    I wish to connect 2 computers, (a PC and a craptop) which are over 200 miles away VIA telephone modems. I wish to dial the PCs telephone modem from the craptops telephone modem,over standard phone lines, then establish a connection between the two. I know its possible, but i am not too sure how to pull it off. any ideas?
    the next hurdle is that i wish to then, through the remote modem connection, be able to access the internet, which the PC is connected to back home on a seperate CABLE MODEM, from the craptop(which is 200 miles away). the phone line is the only channel out from the craptops location, and paying for an ISP is not an option, as i am trying to get around paying for a second internet connection.
    Thank you everyone who takes a few minutes to help me out, any ideas will be greatly appreciated. :)

2. Docktor D

Docktor D Private E-2

Hi greg
    www.logmein.com (its free) but you can't do certain things that the paid version does.
    www.gotomypc same as above only 30 day or 2 hour total time
    then you must buy
    www.radmin.com excellent program then there's Symantec's
    PC Anywhere
    hope this helps
    Doc:)

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Or if xp pro you can setup remote desktop for free by port forwarding the remote desktop port from your router to the machine inside your network you wish to remote to.

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

5. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

6. gregm122

gregm122 Private E-2

cat5e has got it right, but im wondering if pc anywhere or VNC will still work? my understanding is that they are web based? in which case they might not work, since i wont have web, only a modem connected to another modem via telephone. i have to read into the software more, thanks again

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I fully understand what Greg wants to do. But there is always another way to skin a cat. I was using PCAnywhere to link a weather information rover laptop to base, almost before there was an world wide web, I don't know what you mean by 'web based' it (and VNC) provide a complete remote control package.

With PCAnywhere you can view the controlled pc desktop and see anything it can see or get it to perform any function it is capable of, including FTP to the rover. It came out long before Windows had remote access and provides a more complete package that does not need complex setting up. VNC is nearly as good.

I suggested this as a ready made alternative that would 'Go' straight out of the package within 10 minutes it's really that easy. Of course this costs a bit but it may be woth it to Greg either in speed or ease of implementation.

Studio T

8. gregm122

gregm122 Private E-2

thanks everyone for your help looks like remote software will help me out with this thanks everyone!

9. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

There ya go another satisfied geek!

I forgot to mention it also works well with GSM sat phones as well as land lines.

Studio T

10. gregm122

gregm122 Private E-2

What if i were to take my cell phone and physically tape that sucker to one of those acoustically coupled modems, then fire that sucker over to my house, i could theoretically recieve internet service anywhere i get cell phone reception, then fire that over the line to my home PC? that would work no?;)

11. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

yeah in theory you could make acoustic coupling work but I have never seen it done for a landline let alone a mobile which has less power.
    Some pcs have IR couplings too. Again in theory you could make an IR coupling to the transmission device but that would involve some electronics. The Windows bit would be easy though as the XP version of Direct Cable Connection includes a cable free IR setting!

All the best

Studio T

12. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

VNC is a Web related application and would help in this matter.

I did not use pcAnywhere for years, the old version worked straight with dialup.

You leave the Host computer On with dialup modem connected to the phone line, and the pcAny server running.

You can connected to the host from another location by the pcAny viewer just dialing the Host regulator telephone number.

Given the low quality of what you would get through such a connection, and that regular timed telephone charges may apply. A free, or low cost dialup Internet service is a better solution.

13. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Cat5e is quite correct in saying that using an internet costed phone connection is can be cheaper than using the phone connection direct. This is the principle of VOIP of course.
    Howver a direct connection is just that. In a word SECURE.

Yer pays yer money an yer takes yer choice.

studio T

14. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

voip is nothing to do with what hes talking about, hes talking about a dialup via regular phone lines.

15. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

If I transmit my voice (make a voice call) via my 'regular' telephone which is plugged into my phone socket I pay £0.024 per minute, peak or £0.008 per minute off peak. More if the call is international.
    If I transmit my voice via my VOIP box, which is plugged into the SAME 'regular ' phone socket the cost to me is ZERO.

I pay the same rates to transmit modem squeaks by either method.

Methinks the analogy is exact. The question is about economics not electronics.

Studio T

16. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

the original poster isn't trying to make a voice phone call, hes trying to tranfser data, voip sort implys a broadband or isdn connection already in place. CAT5e is reffering to a dialup type connection.

17. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I had understood that the original query to be sorted and that the thread had evolved into a wider and more general discussion about the subject as they sometimes do.

Greg asked an intelligent question and deserved an considered response. It may be he has a mobile phone contract with sufficient paid air time to avoid land line charges altogether.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

In the UK, and I believe in the USA, the charges paid for a given phone call from given fixed apparatus (landline) depend upon the supplier chosen. Thus I would pay more to British Telecom than Vartec, for the same call from the same apparatus. This is called least cost call routing and may be an option for Greg.

Thee are several ways to transfer the internet from a fixed station to a rover. Gateway methods were already well described by other geeks so I offered an alternative of directly controlling the fixed station from the rover. This has the advantage that if something goes wrong at the fixed station when you are 200 miles away you may be able to fix it remotely.
    I also noted that there are roll-your-own methods through Windows own resources, involving more work on the part of the user. And there are 'off the shelf' methods available at some cost.

I believe I treated the question fairly, adding useful information rather than reiterating that which was already said. I am also happy to participate in the wider discussion of the subject as I may learn something.

Studio T

18. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Cell phone would not work with accoustic coupler the Network was not build to support it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds