Problem with new card... HIS X1950Pro 256mb

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LoneGreyWolf20, Mar 7, 2007.

1. LoneGreyWolf20

LoneGreyWolf20 Private First Class

I am having problems with the new card that I purchased. It’s an X1950Pro made by HIS. Basically what’s happened is that when I tried doing the drives the way the instructions say to do it, when everything was done installing, the computer froze except for being able to move the mouse and then the monitor went black. The computer was still on and running, but the monitor’s led was blinking like the computer was off. I had to crash the computer in order to get it to reboot. I turned the computer back on and was never able to get the monitor to show a picture.

I put my old card back in and just let windows give it drivers. I uninstalled all software that had to do with ATI, including the drivers. I ran driver cleaner as well. Turned the computer off, put the new card back in. Turned the computer back on, hit cancel when the new hardware wizard popped up, and just installed the driver for the card, and nothing else. Driver installed ok, and a box popped up that said when I restart the computer, the driver will completely install and the card will go through some tests.

I reboot the computer, and it starts it’s testing and then the monitor goes black and I am right back where I started with the computer on and the monitor’s led blinking again.

I’m not sure what else to do now. I have since put my old card back in and I am at a loss on what to try next.

The drivers I used were the ones supplied with the card on a disk. Also, the adapter that I have is a PCI-E to Molex adapter. It only has one molex connector.

Anyone have any ideas as to what’s wrong?

2. LoneGreyWolf20

LoneGreyWolf20 Private First Class

Well, I’m starting to think I should have stuck with Nvidia with all these problems. I was on the phone with ATI support this morning, pretty much all morning since I posted here.

Talked to 3 different techs, including a 2nd tier tech. Finally the second tier tech says it sounds like it could be 1 of like 3 things. It could be the card is faulty (not something I really want to hear), could be the OS, or the power supply.

I can’t reformat the computer since I am not the only one that uses it. My wife has a program on here that she doesn’t have the key code for anymore. If I reformat, she loses this program. It’s Paint Shop Pro 9. She doesn’t want to put the money out for PSP XI since 9 works fine for her. Besides, I can’t see it being my OS since I am typing this out using my old Nvidia card and having no problems.

It could also be the power supply. When I told the tech my specs, he said he doesn’t think it should be that. As it has 30 amps on the 12 volt rail.

So he says either OS or card.

I think what I am going to do is wait till tomorrow and go to the local repair shop as I am friendly with the guy there. He has a new power supply that he purchased for a customer, but the customer gave him the wrong info. It’s an Ultra 550watt PS. I’m not sure of the model though. I will try that and see if my issue clears up. If not, I will RMA the card I guess.

If Newegg will let me, I think I will just go with the 7600GT. It's not a good a card as the X1950, but so far I have never had issues with my Nvidia card other than the fact that it's dying on me. Installation was easy.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds