Sending but not receiving packets - hardwired

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pbfettes, Mar 7, 2007.

1. pbfettes

pbfettes Private E-2

My laptop's connection to my router was working but stopped working a week ago. Packets are sent but not received. Is this a configuration issue or a virus issue? Running Windows 2k

P.S. On a perhaps related issue my wireless connection stopped working a few days before my hardwired connection, giving me a Code 10 error. That's why I went hardwired to try to search for a problem to the wireless connection. After being hardwired for about 2 days, that conked out too.

Things I've tried:
    -Use Opera browser instead of IE - no change
    -Access the router from another laptop - works fine
    -Try a new ethernet cable - no change
    -Run ccounter, spybot, AVG - no change

Note: I could not run panda or bitdefender because I do not have an internet connection. I am using my local library's computer to research and download possible repairs.

2. pbfettes

pbfettes Private E-2

Further to the original post, I've run (in safe mode) ccleaner, GetRunKey, ShowNew, SpyBot, AVG, and HijackThis (under the name analyse.exe).

Attached Files:

3. pbfettes

pbfettes Private E-2

And still no luck getting my ethernet connection working. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Attached Files:

4. pbfettes

pbfettes Private E-2

Someone suggested I check my network connection in case the problem is not malware. Bear with me if it seems like I barely know what I'm doing. Here's what I did:

-Pinged 127.0.0.1 - worked fine
    -Checked the autoconfiguration IP for my NIC (it was a number starting with 169.*.*.*), then pinged it - worked fine
    -Verified that my computer is set up to get an IP automatically - it is
    -My computer was not given an IP by the router.
    -Tried to ping the SMC Barricade router (192.168.123.254) - failed
    -Rebooted and reset the router by holding the reset button 5 seconds - no help
    -Uninstalled and reinstalled my Intel PRO/100VE NIC - no help
    -Tried a different Ethernet cable that I know works - no help
    -Verified that my computer's Ethernet connection shows a green light to indicate a good ethernet connection - yes it does
    -In the Device anager I checked my NIC properties and it says it's working ok

Someone suggested I may be missing a system file critical to networking but I don't know how to diagnose that or pinpoint the name of the missing file.

HELP!!! I'M AT MY WIT'S END!!

5. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Your problem is not malware. It sounds like a configuration problem of some sort or your DHCP server in your router is not working.

Since you have your PC set to get an IP automatically, this means you are set for DHCP. In this mode when you power up your PC it should get an IP address assigned from higher up in the network. In your case this is currently the router. If you remove the router, it would be from your cable or DSL modem (whatever is on the other side of the router) which is in effect then allowing you to get your IP assigned by your ISP's equipment.

If you run ipconfig /all from a command prompt and your IP address is being shown as a 169.*.*.* as you indicated then you are not getting an IP assigned to you from your router. If you were, you would be on the same network as your router which you said is on a 192.x.x.x network. You cannot ping your router if you are not on the same network. You could temporarily set your PC to a static IP address of 192.168.123.250 (Subnet mask can be 255.255.255.0 or whatever your router is set to allow . Default gateway should be set to 192.168.123.150) which will put it in the same network as the router address you gave. Does that work? If so, you know that you don't have a physical hardware failure and that it is simply a matter of getting your DHCP configuration working properly.

By pass your router and tie direct to your ISP's modem. Do thing's work okay this way? If yes, then your PC is fine and it means you have something set incorrectly in your router or that it is broken. If you still don't work this way, then you have something set incorrectly in your PC or your NIC is not receiving any packets. You can delete the NIC and reboot and allow the drivers to reinstall. This may or may not help.

Now I'll leave you to continue working with people in this forum since I need to focus on the malware forum.

6. pbfettes

pbfettes Private E-2

Not getting an IP leased from DHCP server

As indicated below, I've checked some configuration details and checked for malware. Althought the DHCP server is leasing IPs to other machines both wireless and hardwired, it's not leasing an IP to me, hardwired.

-already checked the cable by testing with another machine
    -already checked the NIC (I think) by pinging itself
    -since the router works for others, I assume it's not the router
    -made sure the machine's set to get an IP automatically (in fact I changed it to static IP, tried entering a static IP as indicated in my router manual (which didn't work) then reverted to Auto IP which didn't work.

What can I now check in W2K? HELP!!

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

OK Goto
    start>settings>network and dialup connections
    Right click on the LAN
    Choose properties
    Click on Client for Microsft Networks
    Choose properties
    Note down the RPC service shown
    click on cancel
    Click on Internet protocol TCP/IP
    Choose properties
    Note IP address and DNS settings, should be auto
    Click on ADVANCED
    On the IP settings Tab
    Note IP addresses and Gateway address, if any, should be blank
    On DNS tab all entry fields should be blank
    Append primary and parent should be ticked
    On the options TAB
    Note the properties of all entries in the list
    In particular TCP/ip filtering should be set to permit all

Post those parameter that I have asked you to note and we will take it from there.

Final thought. How did you connect wirelessly? Is the hardware still connected and are its drivers still installed, if so remove and uninstall. You were right to go for the ethernet. Get that working first, then reintroduce the wireless bit.

Studio T

8. fayiz

fayiz Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds