am i missing something? - m/b questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sosaman, Mar 7, 2007.

1. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

basically, i've been sending questions to gigabyte (m/b), and they are somewhat responding to my questions. am i not asking the right questions? or are they not answering them correctly? i personally think they are idiots (however this is my own opinion based on their replys)!!! below is a copy of our chat.

fyi, i actually have a thread on this board about changing the m/b into an HP case. http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=118478 <-- my thread

Sent : 2/26/2007 00:22
    Question : basically, i'm installing your m/b into an hp case, and i'm unsure how to hook up the power switch/led. can you give me a detailed pin out of the m/b connector?

the wires coming from the power button goes into an 8 pin flat connector, then there is an adapter, that changes the 8 pin flat connector, to a 8x2 pin connector (16 pin connector). now the 8 pin flat connector has 1 hole plugged, and the 16 pin connector has 2 holes plugged (white stuff).(on the 8 pin connector it says "Power SW./LED")

the wires coming out of the switch are:

green/black - green led (that is not seen)
    red/black - the actual button (switch)
    yellow black - yellow led (that is seen)

is there a standard connector that i can buy to plug into the 8 pin connector so i can just plug into the m/b connector? or will i have to just rig it?

thx, sos

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Model Name : GA-7VAXP
    --------------------------
    M/B Rev : 7.3
    BIOS Ver : not sure
    Serial No. :
    Purchase Dealer :
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    VGA Brand : Model :
    CPU Brand : AMD Model : Athlon Speed :
    Operation System : Win XP SP :
    Memory Brand : Type :
    Memory Size : Speed :
    Power Supply : W

Answer : Hi

You will need to check with hd regarding the wiring defintion. You will need to
    check with HP regarding the defition so you can follow the user manual to connect the header

Thank you

Sent : 3/1/2007 07:56
    Question : hmm, I can figure out the wires coming from the switch, I just need to know what your pin out on the connector of your m/b is. thx, steve

Answer : Did you check the user manual?
    It'll show the front panel layout

Sent : 3/3/2007 10:01
    Question : well, i've tried looking at the user manual (on the disk provided), and of course most of the pics show another m/b, and are very vague in instruction (plug this in, etc.) i've also d/l'd the instructions from this site, and of course they are vague as well. i do see some pin outs, however i'm not quite sure which one it is. would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction?

would it be 10) F_Panel (2x10 pins connector) on page #19 (or 25 of pdf file that i d/l'd from here)?

thx, steve

Since your connection is not standard you will need to determining the wiring. See if it can be removed so you can wiring them independently. If not you will need to obtain a new chasis

Sent : 3/6/2007 08:46
    Question : Hello, that is what i've been trying to do here. however, i'm just getting the runaround. how hard can it be to give me and/or point me to what i'm asking for?

1) this is my 1st m/b change.
    2) this is not a normal, unplug this, plug this in (this is more advanced), that's why i'm here, trying to get help.
    3) i do have an electronics degree, and this is why i've been asking for a pinout, for that connector from my 1st post!!!
    4) the connector that i'm asking about (last post), is actually a (12x2 pin connector - 24 pins minus 2 pins), so i'm not sure if that is the connecotor in the .pdf file.

sorry, if i seem upset, but i've been up front with what i'm looking for, and you are being very vague about everything... - sos

Please refer to the attached picture, is that the power connection you are referring to? If so the 24 pin should be ok for this motherboard

Thank you
    Attachment : 7vaxp.jpg ( 85 KB ) : <-- (THIS WAS A PIC OF SOME M/B - not mine, AND IT WAS THE ATX CONNECTOR.)

Sent : 3/7/2007 20:37
    Question :thx, but i'm not talking about the atx connector. i'm talking about the connector,that the power button wires plug into. (on the m/b)

Answer : You will need to obtain the layout of the front panel wiring from HP.
    From there if you can rewire it followed the user manual. Standard ATX case uses individual connection.

2. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

like i said, this a my 1st m/b change, and this isn't a normal swap, so i'm at a loss currently. - thx, sos

3. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

if you just got a new mobo then check the manual that came with it. that will tell u how to plug in the front panel connectors. sometimes its just by chance that u get it to work. trust me, NO ONE gets it right the first time. since the case is from a prebuilt system the wires coming from the front may not be labeled so you'll have to go by color of the wires

4. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Why not run down to your local computer store and buy a new case? You can get one w/o a power supply for under $40...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds