Lexar drive acting up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steverino, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Steverino

Steverino Private E-2

I have an older Lexar usb drive (128MB).
    Lately, it's been acting up. By "acting up", I mean that it won't allow any new files to be saved to it beyond half its capacity. Properties show it's only half full, but when I try to save anything new to it, it says that the new file or directory can't be created, or that it's full.
    The write-protection switch is not on. I tried an Ad-aware scan on it, and defragmented it.
    What's the deal? Is it just old & dying?

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Move all your files off the drive first. Right click My Computer>Manage double click Storage, double click Disk Management. Scroll thru the list of drives and see what it reports as capacity. Format it after you've backed it up and see how it responds. It may be time to replace it. You can get a new 2gb thumb for under $40. 128mb (IMHO) seems a bit too small ;)

hopperdave2000

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Depending on how you got the drive you could have been ripped off, there are many junpdrives sold via ebay that are hacked to show more space then whats actually there, but its common for those to only be found when you write enough to fill the drive, and read it back. Many times they show correct sizes in explorer.

4. Steverino

Steverino Private E-2

Thanks, hopperdave! Seems to have done the trick!

5. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

No sweat! Glad I could help! :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds