cdrw/dvd hardware problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MurderousSpartan, Mar 8, 2007.

1. MurderousSpartan

MurderousSpartan Private E-2

i have a dell 4100 inspiron with windows xp

i have a toshiba cdrw/dvd sd r2102 driver that wont play any cds/dvds/ at all.

my system reconginzes the driver but it wont play anything.

i put in the driver cd i have but that wont play also.

is it a virus? is my cdrw/dvd dead?

troubleshoot says theres nothing wrong

and my help and support doesnt work

is there something i can download?

or check in my system?
    thanks

2. DeweyBad

DeweyBad Private First Class

Go to the Dell Utility Partition which has the diagnostics, when you start the computer from a cold boot look for an F key press it is usualy F12, and put the "Custom Test" on the Drive in question follow the directions and run all the tests for that drive tell us the results.

3. MurderousSpartan

MurderousSpartan Private E-2

im kinda of a newbie
    how do i get to the Dell Utility Partition ?i tried to look it up.and i read if i press F11 my whole hard drive earses? but thats with a compaq. now im scared to press any F button in fear of earseing anything. do u know for sure which F button it is? thanks

4. DeweyBad

DeweyBad Private First Class

I am really sure from a cold boot, which means you turn the pc off and then on again and boot into that utility, I work on these Dell PC's all the time it is "F12" it is called the "boot menu", in that menu you should find something about a utility partition "ON MOST SYSTEMS", do a custom test on the drive in question.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds