suggestion on graphics upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tat2d12000, Mar 8, 2007.

1. tat2d12000

tat2d12000 Private First Class

it's been awhile since i've been around,but i sure could use some help with suggestion for an upgrade for my graphics. i have a hp pavilion 6736 with integrated graphics anfd it sure sucks watching video on a nice new 19 inch widescreen flat panel.can anyone help?:)

2. padams

padams First Sergeant

go to newegg.com
    click on video cards
    choose which format, AGP or PCI-E
    then find one in your price range
    read the reviews to see what other people are saying about it.

3. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

OR since you seem like a first time video card buyer, we can help pick one out. do you know if you have an AGP or PCI-Express slot? also, your choices may be limited due to the fact that most prebuilts come with power supplies that arent powerful enough tun run an upgraded video card.

what do you want to do with it aside from watching movies?

4. aidan80

aidan80 Private First Class

I agree with viper_boy! What do you want to do?.. I remember my first "3D accelerator Card" and how much of a massive impact it had on my 2D and 3D games & applications.

5. tat2d12000

i mainly want to watch video as we are not much of a gamer. i know i have a PCI slot. what is AGP?

6. aidan80

aidan80 Private First Class

AGP or Advanced Graphics Port is another type of slot which is sometimes brown in colour, normally located closest to the CPU (above the PCI slots). AGP is intended only for graphics cards. It operates at a higher frequency than PCI and will give better performance. I don't think there are many if any decent PCI cards out there anymore.

What type of motherboard do you have and what is your budget?

7. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

But if you aren't playing any games, then there is no reason to spend a bunch of money on a video card. If you think games might be played on the computer, it might be worth your while to get a halfway decent card, but if not, then a $20-40 video card will do you just fine.

8. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

i doubt he knows. just look up his computer's model # and it will tell u. ill check if i get time

and yes, wyatt is right. by no means do u need to spend a lot of money here. pretty much any card will do fine for your purposes

9. padams

padams First Sergeant

10. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

ummm that link would be google lol but i its PCI an fx5200 or 5500 would be fine for what he wants to do

11. padams

padams First Sergeant

12. tat2d12000

guys i have a trigem cognac board. i am not completely pc iliterate Viper Boy, just hadn't upgraded this pc much as it was my wife's and she was reluctant to let me. it has 3 pci slots. this is on an hp6736 by the way. i have put in a new faster hard drive ,cd writer, upgraded usb ports, and now a 19 inch widescreen. i am on a low budget but it does what we wnat it to for now. sorry for the slow reply. i work graveyards running an abrasive waterjet at a plant in texas.

13. padams

padams First Sergeant

14. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

sorry, i just assumed that when u asked what AGP was...no hard feelings

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds