Upgrades for my PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dagsky, Mar 9, 2007.

1. dagsky

dagsky Private E-2

Hi all, so i've been thinking about getting some upgrades for my pc and didn't know how good/bad my pc currently is!! I want to upgrade it to be faster and i think perhaps the graphics may need updating!

Anyway my pc is used as follows:

W A R C R A F T!!!! (online playing)

D/L movies and sometimes watch on pc but most of the time i will convert avi format to dvd format and then burn dvd. Can't do nothing on the pc while this is going on as it just grinds to a shuddering halt!!

Thats about it!

My Specs ( NO LAUGHING!!)

Processor : Intel Celeron 2.8ghz (not clocked)
    Graphics : Nvidia GeForce 6200 TurboCache
    MOBO : Gigabyte 775 8I915P-G
    HDD : 200GB maxtor SATA

Memory : According to Belarc Advisor i have this:

512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
    Slot 'A1' is Empty
    Slot 'A2' is Empty
    Slot 'A3' is Empty

I'm not sure if its DDR or PC whatever!! Anyway i can tell without opening my pc?

Ok i think thats all the info. I am happy with my mobo as it supports all that i need (well i think so).

I know 1st upgarde you'll all tell me is memory! Now hopefully once i do find out what kind of memory i have is it possible to install a different make of memory? Say IF my current memory is CRUCIAL and i go and install say KINGSTON will it make a difference?

Concerning the processor i was thinking of the P4 640 3.2 (£51)?

Graphics card i haven't a clue if its any good or not but i am almost certain that i did ask for a pci-e card when i bought it. My mobo supports it i think.

Hmmm thats all i can think of right now!

2. dagsky

dagsky Private E-2

managed to find a system scanner on crucial.com for my memory and it tells me that i have a 512mb DDR PC3200 BUT it says:

We're sorry.
    Crucial currently does not have any compatible upgrades available for your particular system. If you have questions or would like further support, please

Maximum Memory Capacity: 4096 MB
    Currently Installed Memory: 512 MB
    Available Memory Slots: 3
    Number of Banks: 4
    Dual Channel Support: N.A.
    CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
    CPU Family: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.80GHz Model 4, Stepping 1
    CPU Speed: 2814 MHz

Now what does this mean?

3. dagsky

dagsky Private E-2

No suggestions anyone?

4. aidan80

aidan80 Private First Class

Well.. converting AVI to DVD takes a decent amount of horsepower and for that horsepower to be efficient you need to feed it with memory. The graphics subsystem being dependant or requiring to feed off system memory when more is required doesn’t help matters either, it’s more of a drain than a performance booster. 512MB for gaming and converting AVI’s isn’t quite enough in my opinion not while the graphics is being a vampire on your RAM.

You motherboard supports Dual Channel DDR400, still quite decent in this day and age! It also supports faster CPU’s which is good another good thing is that is supports PCIE x16 which isn’t anything to complain about.. I’m still on an AGP card till I upgrade.

Depending on your budget and exactly what you want to do with your machine.. you could add a faster processor, additional memory and a graphics card.

On a budget you could do the following:

Buy & install a Pentium D 805 and over clock it! $71.00
    Install 2x 512MB = 1GB Dual Channel $74.99
    OR.. 2x 1GB = 2GB Dual Channel $159.99
    Throw in a Radeon X1600PRO 256MB GDDR3 $82.99

This is just an idea; tell us what you want to do on your computer, what your budget is.

Good Luck! :)

5. aidan80

aidan80 Private First Class

I forgot to add, once you buy your upgrades.. tear out the old parts and of course stick em on eBay to get back some cash! :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds