RAM/Mobo question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Calltaker, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

OK, I have a K7T Pro 2A Mobo with a 2.2gig chip on it. I thought i would upgrade my RAM and my mom was nice enough to get me RAM for a late x-mas present. Tossed in the gig of DDR (ULTRA Brand) and then the machine would not start, not even to post. I took the RAM out and replaced the original stuff and still nothing. All the fans power up, but no post still. I found out that the K7T does not take ECC RAM, which, it turns out, the ULTRA is. I gues I want to know if I totally toasted my board. I hope not, because I have the great misfortune of having a security proggie that is laoded in the back of the HDD with WinXP that will not let me boot on the 1.1gig system that I had laying around and I have a lot of stuff on there that I don't want to loose (and no WinXP to back up install with as I got the box at auction with the OS on it) Accepting any and all help on this one.

Thanks in advance.

~C

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Your mobo should be OK. Unplug the power cord, hold in the on/off button for 5 seconds or so to discharge everything. Open up the case, locate the BIOS jumper and set it to clear your CMOS settings. Leave it in the clear position for 30 seconds or so; then move it back to the normal position. Install your old RAM sticks, close up the case, plug in the power cord, and power up. All should be well. You'll have to go back into the BIOS and set the date/time and any other personalized settings like boot order..... save the settings, exit BIOS, reboot and you should be OK! And a word of warning: if you have stuff on your hard drive that is that important; BACK IT UP!!! Burn it to a CD/DVD!

hopperdave2000

3. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

Thanks Dave.

I usually do a backup once a month or more frequently, just been a bit lax as I recently got promoted (including a shift change to nights) and have had a bit of a freaky schedule of late. I will give this a try when I get up tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks again.

~C

(Posting form work... LOL)

4. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

OK, did the above (Yeah, am up and running aleady.) and when it starts, I am getting a beep code as follows 2 short, 1 short. I checked the MSI site and this is what I came up with:
    Any thoughts? I am going to go pop the jumper again and remove the CMOS battery and see if that makes a difference. Just glad that I have the old rig still running so I can pop in here.

Thanks again

~C

5. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds