SLI: A waste of time and money?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smallfella, Mar 10, 2007.

1. smallfella

smallfella Private E-2

Hi all I'm new to this so hello to everybody.
    I have two Nvidia graphics cards set up to run in SLI mode but here's the rub.
    The PCI Express 1 slot is capable of running 16 lanes but the number 2 slot only runs at 8 lanes, if both slots are occupied then both run at 8.
    Are we better of running one good card in the number 1 slot?
    tia in advance for any info.

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

it depends what card you are planning on getting...8x SLI will definitely still be a big improvement over a single card but if you are going to SLI something like 2 7600GTs it would be a better idea to invest in a better single card such as an 8800GTS/GTX and then wait until later to add another. I dont really think that even the 8x PCI-E bandwidth is completely full with modern cards so im not sure how much of an improvement full 16x SLI would be over 8x SLI

welcome to the site :major

3. smallfella

smallfella Private E-2

Thanks for that reply.
    You must be psychic!!! That is exactly what I've installed: 2 x 7600 GT cards.
    I bought these thinking that they would run Flight Sim X...WRONG.
    It shuts down and reboots all the time if I try to use fairly decent settings.
    Ah well back to the drawing board and the wallet.

4. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

sounds like a weak PSU. is it SLI certified?

dont get me wrong, those cards in SLI are quite the powerhouse but i wouldnt invest in something like that with the new DX10 cards coming out

5. smallfella

smallfella Private E-2

Thanks viper for your replies, I think I'm fairly well configured.
    Here's a config list

Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe Mobo
    AMD 64x2 4600+ 2.41 Ghz
    2 Gig DDR2 667 running as Dual Channel.
    Sata 160 HDD (150 Transfer rate) I've got Vista on a 300, unusable at the moment, nothing much works on it.:(
    Windows XP Home SP2
    Hyper PSU 580 Watts.
    2 x Nvidia 7600GT Graphics cards
    Antec case.
    All the other usual stuff, sound DVD Rom, etc etc.
    I think men got to the moon and back with less!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds