Help with NAS and dyndns

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by acejones, Mar 10, 2007.

1. acejones

acejones A Different Title

I setup a NAS on my local network. I can access the NAS via ssh, ftp, and internal ip/hostname. I registered a dyndns.org domain, thinking I would be able to access the NAS via the internet, but I didn't get an option to forward the NAS ip to dyndns. When I access my dyndns domain, I get my router (I assume the dyndns is pointed to my gateway). I don't have an option in my router settings to point the dyndns to my NAS ip.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Out side DNS services can only point to your Router. They can not point to a device with internal private IP.

The internal pointing is done by the Router using the port forwarding.

If (as an example) your NAS ftp is using port 21, forwarding in the Router port 21 to the NAS internal IP would connect the Internet to the NAS.

Look at this page toward the end it is written for another application but it is the same principle, http://www.ezlan.net/vnc#portselect

3. acejones

acejones A Different Title

ok. i think i got it. i connected to someone elses wireless wireless router and was able to ftp in, so i think i'm good to go. i'll just need to test it again later. thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds