Adding Memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wd2i, Mar 10, 2007.

1. wd2i

wd2i Private E-2

Hi everyone, I'm new to the Forum and hope someone can help me. I purchased 2 G's of memory to upgrade my Dell 8300. It had 512 already installed. I removed the 2 256 and installed the 2 1G memory, tried to restart the computer and nothing happened, just some funny noise. I replaced 1 of the 256 memory boards and the computer restarted, but the screen jumps up and down fast at times and it still is slow. Does anyone have any ideas. The 2 memory boards I bought are exactly what Dell told me to get. Thanks Tom

2. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

Sounds like a compatibility issue!......can you give us your Memory Module specs?

Regards..

3. wd2i

wd2i Private E-2

Hi the specs for the module are 1G PC3200 DDR400Mhz 184p Dimm thanks Tom

4. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

Dell dimension 8300 desktop... Intel 875P chipset, 533FSB front side bus. Dual Channel memory is supported with the following ram specs 128x64-400MHz DDR400 PC3200, 184p DIMM, 2.5v, Sync, CL=3.0
    It is recommended to install DDR RAM in matching pairs, which i have no doubt is what you have done Tom.

The specs supplied look OK, but can you give the Manufactures Brand name as well, and I can do a bit of research for you!
    Some motherboards are very fussy about what you install and although they may look identical on top, different latency's etc exist among different manufactures.

Have you tried installing just one module in the primary DIMM slot on bank A and seeing what happens? If nothing then try just one stick in the primary DIMM slot on bank B etc etc (you get my drift). Try a few different configurations as the basis of trial and error can be very handy when you work with computers......not so good if you work with explosives :p
    In order to utilize dual channel functionality you should install I stick in each primary slot on each bank (these slots should be appropriately color coded).

This includes a recommended installation guide and a manufacturer support guide for your perusal mate!

http://www.memorystock.com/memory/DellDimension8300.html

Regards..;)

5. wd2i

wd2i Private E-2

The 2 modules are made by NCP. Right now I have gone back to the 2 256 modules. I will try your method of putting 1 Ea. in A & B Dimm Primary. I haven't tried that yet. Do I need to leave the other 2 modules in there when I add the new ones?

6. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

No, leave them out for now....lets establish that your new RAM is compatible and functional first!

Let us know how you get on!

Cheers!

7. wd2i

wd2i Private E-2

I have left the old memory modules in. How can I tell if the 2 modules I just got are working and compitable. The #'s all seem to match what Dell told me to get. Thanks Tom

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

On the lines that nitecrawler has said with the ram, -
    The manufacturer of the ram you purchased is important - If its latency is 2, instead of 3 ,your motherboard will kick up, and might just not start, like it did.
    When you start up, the computer checks the memory installed.
    If it does not do anything, then the memory is either not making good contact, or,the latency is could be creating the problem.
    If you follow nitecrawlers drift, Try going to the ram manufacturers site, and find the memory settings.
    If you can get that information, you can set the Ram timings in the bios, with your old Ram in, and then shut down, and try one stick at a time , with the new memory - Your pc has to register it with the cmos/bios, and load failsafe defaults, and you might have more luck.

9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

System spec shows 2gb capacity (see Dell spec for this)

10. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Yes, sorry about that, I was really just looking at 2 x 1 gb, as a pair.
    Have you checked the timings, yet ?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds