Any ideas on this Dell?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fred_G, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

A friend of mine asked me about a Dell his company bought with Vista on it, and it would not work with the camera stuff they want it for. They could not get XP to install on the machine.

Give me the machine and a XP disk, and I will get it installed. Done. This is a brand new Dell Intell 6600 machine! Heck, I get a folder for the weekend...

It is not running right. I lost the mouse after a few hours of folding, then lose the WU? My job is done, I think this one should go back to Dell. Not sure what model it is, but it is a 6600@2.4GHz, 2x 512 Dell ram.

The folding log shows a corrupt core. Bad RAM? I do work for this guy for more or less beer money or free. This is to be a video capture computer only. I say it needs to go back to Dell.

If it can't fold in a 70F environment, in my opinion it is flawed. Any ideas?

E

2. DellCA

DellCA Private E-2

If you think there are hardware problems with the system then I recommend running the Dell diagnostics, either from the F12 boot menu (at the Dell splash screen just after powering on the computer) or by booting to the Resource (aka Drivers & Utilities) CD. The diagnostics will let you test everything or individual components.

There should be no problems running XP on any Dell systems that shipped with XP at any point. The drivers are available on the Dell support website (support.dell.com). If you did not install the Dell Notebook or Desktop System software (depending on the system type) then that could be the problem as that software is, basically, part of the chipset and required for the hardware to be seen properly by Windows.

If you have any other questions about the system I will be more than happy to answer them for you.

Larry
    Dell Customer Advocate

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I see a lot of Dells for service and run four of various vintages so I shall watch this thread with interest.
    There is a great danger I might learn something.

Studio T

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

5. obener

obener Private E-2

is there one for toshiba too?lol

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I am sorry, I forgot about this thread. I got the computer working. Had some driver problems, it has been working for them flawlessly for the last week. They are happy. I might get a Vista disk out of the deal also.

E

7. DellCA

DellCA Private E-2

I'm glad to hear you got things working, Fred_G.

StudioT, I'll definitely take a look at that other thread.

Larry
    Dell Customer Advocate

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Actually, I have a Dell question if you do not mind DellCA. My boss got a lot of Dell laptops from an auction, and they do not have hard drives in them. I need the part number of the adapter that interfaces between the hard drive and the computer. We have laptops, we have hard drives, just don't have the adapter.

Thanks for your time.

E

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds