HP Pavilion Laptop Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Comicguy, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Comicguy

Comicguy Private E-2

This kind of sprang up over night and I really have no idea what is causing it.

To put it plain and simply, my laptop is lagging very badly and freezing up...

It takes forever to start up and when it finally gets to my desktop it takes forever for the icons to come to the icon tray on the bottom.

It also freezes up eventually if you just try to let it run it's course...

When I boot up in safe mode, everything seems to work fine here. I can't access the internet or anything, but I'm able to actually click on icons and move things.

I'm running AVG Free Edition right now, but it's taking forever...

I think that this might be a hardware problem though..

Any suggestions on what I should do about this? I can't even download any new applications to use like that Process Explorer, because it freezes up too fast.

Any suggestions on what I can do from safe mode would be appreciated.

UPDATE -

Just tried to enter some folders... On a few it gave me an error message that said "Disk in Drive C is not formatted.. would you like to format it now?" I clicked no, because I figure formatting C will wipe out everything on the hard drive... so I'm kind of at a loss here.

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Has it been dropped, or knocked recently ?
    Sounds like you might need to backup anything you can, in case.
    Laptops are a little difficult to work on, so the usual checks for ram seated properly, loose leads,or dust and fluff are difficult.
    Have you installed anything new - software ?
    Can you get to system restore ?

3. Comicguy

Comicguy Private E-2

It's been sitting and running on a desk in my sister's room. My mom uses that as her computer sometimes. I leave it hooked up there for easy access for her.

I'm not really worried about losing anything on it, as it was never my primary PC. I just used it for college stuff and I backed up all of my papers onto my current desktop anyway.

When windows starts up, it goes through all the stuff, but then the startup music comes way late..

I can CTRL ALT DELETE and look at the processes.. but I wouldn't know what to look for.

It freezes up a few minutes afterwards...

Nothing has been installed recently on the computer... it just happened like this overnight...

I don't know if I could get to system restore or not in the amount of time I have...

I'm just wondering what the deal is, because in Safe mode it lags a bit, but it doesn't freeze up...

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

quote "I'm just wondering what the deal is, because in Safe mode it lags a bit, but it doesn't freeze up.2
    That is why I asked if you had installed anything. - in case it was a driver issue.
    While in safe mode right click on my computer, click manage,system tools, Event viewer.
    In the list that shows will be some yellow triagles. I fyou double click on these you will get a reason for the most recent crashes, if you can copy them , and post them here it would be a help.

5. Comicguy

Comicguy Private E-2

ok I'm on it... I'm not using that laptop to do this obviously, since it keeps freezing... and I can't connect to the net when in safe mode..

Event Viewer has multiple warnings under Applications

MSI Installer
    Userenv
    Crypt32

Under System

DHCP

the other two topics didn't have any errors or warnings..

When I start safe mode it asks me if I want to restore, to just hit no, should I do that?

ALSO:

I forgot about hooking up a printer to the laptop a few weeks ago. On Thursday night my mom printed off some stuff and I have in the past as well... Do you think that could have something to do with it?

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If it asked you to restore , then that is the easiest way forward, if it is to restore to an ealier time, - like before the printer - the printer driver might have an issue, -that is assuming you had installed it.

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Msi installer might not have installed an update properly- you can try uninstalling whatever update came in on that date.
    If you double clicked these yellow triangles, it says something in the box- often something like a program did not release memory, or something like that.
    I have to go now, but I will look back tommorrow, if no-one else picks up this thread.

8. Comicguy

Comicguy Private E-2

Yeah I'm not sure when exactly I installed the printer driver, or if I installed it at all. I definetly didn't put a CD in or anything, I think it was just plug and play...

I'll wait a bit and see if this jogs anyone else's memory and then I'll just try to restore it.

9. Comicguy

Comicguy Private E-2

Yeah about the updates.. I think it was some HP update or something that my mom asked me about installing. I told her to say No because I didn't feel like dealing with it at the time and then it froze up...

So that could be it too...

Sounds like a restore might be the way to go, but I dunno.

It would be easier if I could copy and paste the stuff in the yellow triangle, but if I have to I'll write out the stuff.

10. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

That HP Update is a very, very likely candidate, as I had a problem, myself, with that (I have a HP oficejet all-in one).

11. Comicguy

Comicguy Private E-2

Ok, yeah it's no coincidence that it crashed when I decided to hit "No" when asked about installing it...

Should I just do a system restore then?

Or is there a way I can delete that update or whatever in safe mode?

I'm not even sure where the HP updates are located...or even what this one's name is..

12. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If you go to add and remove programs, it should be there.
    Also the last updates that microsoft downloade.

13. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I would still try system restore, though.

14. Comicguy

Comicguy Private E-2

Hang on I enabled safe mode with networking..

I'll copy and paste that stuff for you that is in the error files ASAP and see what you think.

15. Comicguy

Comicguy Private E-2

Here are all the different error messages I'm getting -

MSI Installer

Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x8007043C

Usenevrev

Windows saved user JASON\Jason LASTNAME registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.
    This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

crypt32

Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cab> with error: The data is invalid.

DHCP

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 000FB0747E6B. The following error occurred:
    The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

16. Comicguy

Comicguy Private E-2

For some reason it won't let me use System Restore...

I go through the process, but when it starts back up it says that it was unable to restore the system to the date I specified...

Would running something like Hijack this in Safe Mode be helpful?

17. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

18. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds