Internet connection problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tourangh, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

Lately I have been problems with the internet just randomly shutting off throughout the day than working again in about 20-30 mins. My computer is connected to a scientific atlanta modem. It is not wireless. When I run some programs such as Limewire i find that it is more prone to shut off but, it will still shut off even if im just running IE. I have no idea what to do and have tried a few things without much luck.

Heh prolly should have put in networking section. Forgot that one existed :)

2. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Moved to networking. What have you done to test your connection during downtimes?

4. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

Checked network adapters in device manager.
    Updated drivers
    changed ip
    reset network adapter
    Unconnected the modem and reconnected. restarted etc..

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Assuming your on a cable network have you called your provider to check signal levels? Assuming your using the webstar modem you won't be able to check those yourself. I would start with that.

6. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

will do

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

QFT.

Something like that does sound like it could be the signals...

Do you lose your IP altogether? If no, what do ping and traceroute tests provide?

For example:

ping majorgeeks.com

tracert majorgeeks.com

8. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

[​IMG]

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Was that during downtime with your connection? If so, you have a software issue going on...

10. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

Since posting this it only went down once. I will run them again the next time it happens

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds