problem with internet connection: speed slows down to dial-up when running on batteri

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tomcruise3230, Mar 12, 2007.

1. tomcruise3230

tomcruise3230 Private E-2

Dear members,

I don't know what seems to be wrong with my toshiba laptop 1400-s151 (hardrive 2 years old but still works fine) with window xp home edition. I have verizon fios with 1 MB download speed and 5 MB browsing speed. What happens is, when the power adapter is connected with the laptop to supply power from the power cord and not from the batteries the internet speed works perfectly fine. However, when i disconnected the power adapter from the laptop when the batteries are recharged to 100% , a messages appears on bottom right (where are the icons are ex: time, norton virus icon etc) that a local area connection or a network cable is unplugged. After that I get disconnected for 3-5 seconds but then it reconnects itself back as if i just connected the ethernet cable to the laptop. However, thats besides the real problem which is the speed becomes noticably slow (like dial-up with download speed less the 80 kbs from the usual 700-900 kbs) and it stays slow until I plug back the power adapter when the battery power is runing low. (its as if i go back to dial-up when running on batteries and back to fios running on power adapters...weird!) And when i do plug back the power adapter it gives me yet again the same message (a local area connection or a network cable is unplugged ) for 3-5 seconds then reconnects itself as if i again just now connected the ethernet cable to the laptop. And since the laptop is now running on power adapter and not the batteries the speed comes back to normal (from pervious dial-up speed to FIOS verizon speed). It has been doing this for over an year and i dont know why and what causing this (ran norton virus and other spyware tools but nothing changes). Therefore, can someone please tell me what is causing this and how I can fix the problem? Anything will help! I will be waiting for your useful suggestions and remarks!

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Re: problem with internet connection: speed slows down to dial-up when running on bat

Try this, may help may not, Right click on my computer, and click manage, then click device manager, then click + next to network adapters, then double click on your network adapter. Then click power management, then uncheck allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. Maybe its power saving turning off the device for some reason. Good Luck

3. tomcruise3230

tomcruise3230 Private E-2

Re: problem with internet connection: speed slows down to dial-up when running on bat

it is already unchecked. i believe it is my battery since when the laptop is runnin gon batteries it only has power to stay on for only 15-20 minutes and then i have to plug back the power adapter or it will shut down.any other suggestions

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

That was the only thing i could think of. Sorry, maybe someone else can think of something else to help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds