Internet not working after virus removal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BrokenArrows, Mar 13, 2007.

1. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

I had a number of viruses infect my laptop yesterday.

Dell Inspiron 8500
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    512RAM

It took me all day to get rid of all the traces of the viruses.

The internet was working when i first realised my computer was infected. I was running AVG at the time and it picked up one virus which i cleaned and it said it was successfull but the computer still managed to get seriously infected.

I was getting loads of popups and internet was very slow.

I ran avg and it picked up over 60 coppies of multiple viruses and trojans and trojan downloaders. I cleaned all these out and restarted the computer.

Upon rebooting my internet show "limited or no connectivity" icon and remained this way since.
    It took me multiple scans using AVG and Ad-aware in safe mode and some manual deletion of file to completly remove all traces of the viruses.

AVG and Adaware now show a clean computer but internet still down.

I was using a 3COM OfficeConnect Wireless 54Mbps 11g Pc Card in my laptop at the time. I also have a Broadcom 440x 10/100 card installed on my laptop.

Both of these show the same problem when i try to connect them.

Both were configured to obtain ip and dns information automatically.
    I configured them with the correct information manually and it showed a connection but the internet still failed to work.

Any help getting the internet working again would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

Problem Solved

I found a network diagnostic program on my computer under c:/windows/network diagnostic

I ran this program for my wireless network and it found something corrupted and asked to delete it so i said ok and restarted the computer.

Upon restart everything was perfect.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds