Fans don't work when I connect them to the motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by closet haxzor, Mar 13, 2007.

1. closet haxzor

closet haxzor Private E-2

Whenever I have tried connecting my case fans to my motherboard, they don't work. Like, when I turn the power on, I see a sliiight twitch in the fans movements, but then nothing. I have a BFG Tech 680i SLI motherboard.
    So I don't think much of it, and connect it to the PSU instead. But I actually want to connect them to the mobo instead so I can hopefully monitor, and control the speeds.

Why aren't my fans working when I connec them to the motherboard? Do I need to use a program like speedfan to make them work?

thanks, please help me! :)

2. closet haxzor

3. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

how many pins does the fan cable have? if its just a yellow one then it cant be powered by that. if it has a white and red (i think) then it should be able to get power from the mobo. you should be able to plug it into both the PSU and mobo if u want to monitor it

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Your MOBO fan header might be burnt out.
    The amount of power that the MOBO fan header can provide is Limited, exceed that amount you can Burn out the Fan Header

Your MOBO manual should tell you how much power is available to the fan header

Some of the fan plug's on your MOBO while having three pins will not support fan speed sensing, the MOBO will also tell you which
    Also some fans do not support fan speed sensing

In General it's not recommended to use the MOBO fan headers for case fans, Also Note! some after Market CPU fans need more juice than the fan header can provide

I only use the Fan headers for the cpu & sometimes chipset fans, all others direct to the PSU
    It's also OK to use the fan speed sensing leg of the MOBO fan header while powering off the PSU

In BIOS there may be Option's for fan control, you can check too see, but I think your Header is Toast:cry

IMO The best way to control Fan speed is via a Fan Controller

Three pin fans, the Yellow is usually for monitoring the fan speed, White,Black or Red for power
    Some Fan's have Molex connectors for power & a single yellow wire on three pin connector to connect to the MOBO fan header for speed sensing/monitoring

5. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

i second that. crank them up for gaming, turn them down for normal computer use. definitely a good investment, only like $15

6. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Dont know if this is common or not

I have a 'neon-crab' RAM fan because i have RDRAM and it runs a bit hotter than DRAM etc

This is plugged into the fan header that is controlled by the temperature sensor that is between the CPU and the RAM

From a cold start, the fan will not start up at all for about 2 minutes.
    When the sensor reaches a certain temp it kicks the fan in.

Thankfully my CPU fan starts up straight away (as long as I plug it into the right header)

7. closet haxzor

Thanks for the info guys :)
    I did order that 70mm fan from Newegg and installed it to blow out air from the side of my case, now I have an 80mm Antec exhaust fan turned on the highest speed, and 2 front 80mm fans. I'm still getting 44 C, and now 45 C idle at times. Iv decided to live with this because iv tried everything to reduce these temps and it gets thrown back in my face. Buying more fans... Buying different CPU fans/heats sinks... And much more worries... I'm officially DONE. :guns

thanks a lot! :)

8. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

dont give up yet man...can you post a pic of your case (the inside) or describe it? if there are tons of wires in the way it may be affecting airflow. what case do you have? i always enjoyed tweaking my cooling setup, its fun to mess with things like that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds