Excel 2003 and Vista compatability

Discussion in 'Software' started by kjhansen56, Mar 19, 2007.

1. kjhansen56

kjhansen56 Corporal

Howdy! I just bought a new computer with Windows Vista Home Basic. Aside from the fact that it doesn't seem to be an improvement over XP Pro (just the opposite in fact), the major issue I have with it is that it doesn't interface well with Excel 2003. I do a lot of stuff in Excel. But now, when I load a spreadsheet, about a third of what should be visible on the screen is not visible. I can use the cursor keys to scroll around and presto! everything pops into view. This is annoying and time consuming, not to mention potentially dangerous to my data, as I might accidently type stuff into a seemingly blank cell, only to find out later that it was just invisible. Yet on the MS web sites there is no mention of this and they say that Office 2003 is fully compatible with Vista. Eh? Not to mention that it seems insanely difficult to actually get anyone at Microsoft to respond to any kind of query without paying them money. Any help out there?

Keith

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

What's your screen's resolution? Is it as high as you've had it while previously working on these spreadsheets? A lower resolution will result in a spreadsheet that appears much bigger on screen.

This is because Microsoft invests a good deal into online support that's provided for free. They have Windows and Office knowledgebases for users of these products, Technet for I.T. professionals and MSDN for developers. They really are fairly well documented. You just have to know how to use them. You can follow this link to the Microsoft Office knowledgebase.

3. kjhansen56

kjhansen56 Corporal

I may have mis-phrased my problem. The data is ON the screen, the spreadsheet is the same size and all ON the screen, you just can't SEE about a third of it. It's like a big rectangle of the screen is white without lines or data. You scroll through it, and as soon as you reach the first row or column that actually MOVES the spreadsheet--just one row or column up, down or over--then all your data magically appears on the screen. Hmmm.

As to the other, I've surfed all over MSN and haven't found a single reference to this issue with Excel 2003. Maybe I'm the only one who has it... although I doubt it. In any case, just trying to get logged on to one of the blogs or websites or whatever so I can post a question seems to be impossible. Plenty of "sign on" locations, but nowhere to register for the first time.

Keith

4. kjhansen56

kjhansen56 Corporal

I went to the MS web site, registered, posted my question, and was ignored. Anybody else have this problem with Vista and Excel?
    Keith

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds