Needed .dll's?

Discussion in 'Software' started by el_lobo, Mar 30, 2007.

1. el_lobo

el_lobo Private E-2

I returned fron vacation and powered up my trusty Dell P-4 1.7Ghz running XP pro and got the following message: "can not load needed.dll's for kernel". This machine was functioning fine when I turned it off. What could have happened?
    Any idea's or assistance is appreciated.
    TY,
    Lobo confused

2. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

Go into safe mode if possible and type msconfig in the run command and check you Boot.ini it should look like this

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

3. el_lobo

el_lobo Private E-2

Thank you for your reply!
    Attempts to reach safe mode result in message "keyboard failure, strike F1 to continue or F12 to run setup utility". Srtiking these keys has no effect, replacing the keyboard w/known good one has no effect. Any other thoughts??
    Lobo

4. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

i found one others thing is to go to your bios the del key or F2 when computer boot.

And check your boot sequence change it disquette 3 1/2 harddisk then cd-rom....

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

The boot.ini file has nothing to do with missing dll files. As to the original posters problem sounds like a repair install of xp is needed. A repair install well replace the dll files and shouldn't damange your xp files.http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm should be helpful in the repair install. If more problems post back.

6. el_lobo

el_lobo Private E-2

Thank you both for the idea's, however I am unable to get past the keyboard error message (even w/a another known good keyboard), so I can't get to the boot menu to change it.

7. el_lobo

el_lobo Private E-2

Bump confused
    Anybody have an idea?
    Ty,
    Lobo

8. Pre-1980Geek

Pre-1980Geek Private E-2

Lobo, do you have a USB or PS2 keyboard? Try switching to the OTHER type and see if it works...

You can disconnect the power cable for the floppy drive (but not the data cable), and then power up the computer. Often it results in a "protest" and automatically opens the BIOS for you, and it might just get that keyboard working, too.

Also, while you're inside, try carefully disconnecting and reconnecting all cables - I know it seems obvious, but sometimes you can get a tiny bit of oxidation during extended downtimes...

Once you get your keyboard working, try the suggestions here: http://tinyurl.com/qfj33 - you might be able to fix the "needed DLL's" problem without going through a major re-install.

And, if you're O/C'd, crank it back down to default speed settings before proceeding - you'd be surprised how many times being cranked up can cause odd problems.

Hope this helps!

9. el_lobo

el_lobo Private E-2

I am finally able to get past the keyboard problem, it somehow cured itself.

Now when trying to boot from the CD, I get the following message:
    "This cumputer is already in the process of being upgraded to MS Windows.
    What do you want to do?
    * to continue current upgrade press enter.
    * to cancel upgrade and install new version of Win press F10.
    * to exit w/o installing Win press F3".

Pressing enter gets the message:file ql1080.sys missing

If I choose "cancel upgrade and install new version", wont I lose everything??

Any assistance deeply appreciated

Lobo confused

10. Pre-1980Geek

Pre-1980Geek Private E-2

Lobo;
    Do you have a lot of data on that machine that must be saved, and if so, let's think about things that won't risk your data:

What happens when you try to boot normally?
    What happens when you try to boot into Safe Mode?
    Do you have an ERD that you can boot with?
    If you can get into Safe Mode now, can you get a HijackThis log?
    I'm just trying to get more info and details about what's going on before suggesting something else...

I do suggest that you try to NOT change anything else that might make the problem worse, like using that CDD if it's actually trying to do a reinstall; far better to get more info on your current state and hope that suggests an approach. In 20+ years of doing this, it's become clear that when a problem happens, the more things you change the less chance you have of a clean solution without major hassles!

11. el_lobo

el_lobo Private E-2

Thank you for the reply.
    I have finally reached the repair consul and tried a few things:
    • CHKDSK returns the message: "the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems".
    • FIXBOOT returns: "Are you sure you want to write a new boot sector?" (NO)
    • FIXMBR returns: "This computer appears to have a non-standard or in-valid master boot record". "If you are having problems accessing your drive do not continue". (I didn't)
    I have made a bootable xp disc as per Paul Thurrott's info at winsupersite.com and thought I might try that next, but haven't had time as yet. Do you consider this a good next step or have another idea?
    Lobo confused

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds