PC not 'refreshing' CD's

Discussion in 'Software' started by hopperdave2000, Mar 30, 2007.

1. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

WinXP Pro SP2. The problem is that when an audio CD is put in, it works fine, but when it's removed, and another audio CD is put in (or a data CD), Windows isn't 'refreshing' the CD drive and doesn't recognize any other CD's put in after the first one. If the PC is rebooted, it will then recognize the CD, but as soon as a different CD is put it, again it doesn't see it.... any ideas, help, or suggestions will be greatly apperciated!

hopperdave2000

BTW- I'm a bit short on time with this, so sooner is better than later! ;)
    I'll have to double check, but I think that if I only use data CD's, the drive works fine, it's when an audio CD is put in that things go haywire.

2. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

You may have a codec issue did you install some codec pack lately.....

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Codec issue isn't the case with a regular audio cd because it doesn't use any special codecs. I would start by removing the cd drive from device manager and rebooting to refresh the driver.

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

have you got digital audio enabled?

Properties button in device manger for CD ROM
    Choose properties tab
    make sure digital audio is ticked.

Studio T

5. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Well, I double checked it w/ data CD's and it did the same thing. So I rebooted using 'Last Known Good...' and that seemed to fix it until I rebooted a 2nd time. I removed the CD from the Device Manager, rebooted, let it re-install. That seemed to work, so I rebooted again to double check, and it acted up again! So I ran Dial-A-Fix (I always run DAF when something wiggy is going on; it can be a miracle worker), rebooted, and that seemed to work. I rebooted again, and everything is still OK! So I guess DAF fixed it. I don't know what (if any) .dll's have to do with CD's refreshing themselves, but..... whatever.... it's working now....

hopperdave2000

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds