Transferring XP from E-machines

Discussion in 'Software' started by CONNIE Y, Mar 30, 2007.

1. CONNIE Y

CONNIE Y Private E-2

Does anyone know if I can use the product key from my dead e-machine that had XP Home to activate my new computer with a fresh install. New computer is NOT an e-machines. Also, I have an OEM version of XP Home on a different computer so I have the OEM CD.

Thanks,
    Connie

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I don't want to get either of us in trouble with either Major Geeks or with Microsoft; and I'm not suggesting that you break any laws either. Since you paid for WinXP when you bought the EMachine (it was figured into the sale price whether you knew it or not ;) ), you should be able to use the key (technically, it will work just fine, but legally I'm not sure) on the other PC as long is it's not used on the EMachine also. As far as activation goes, you'll probably have to call the Microsoft 1-800 number and from there I thinks it's usually an automated process of reading a bunch of numbers, then typing in a bunch of numbers. Like I said, you own the key; I'm just not sure if you can legally use the key on a 2nd non-EMachine PC.

hopperdave2000

3. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

The online activation should work if it has been more than 120 days since the last activation. Otherwise, the phone activation will work, albeit less conveniently. As for legality, you won't need to worry about how you will look in prison blues.

4. CONNIE Y

CONNIE Y Private E-2

Thanks to all for the info. We're going to try that, well, as soon as my son can get his video card to work again. He bought a new case yesterday and now the card won't work at all.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds