Excel chart question

Discussion in 'Software' started by MrPewty, Mar 30, 2007.

1. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

When you try to format the category axis (X-Axis) on an Excel chart, it lets you set the start number anywhere from 1-31999. It won't let you put zero in there.

Does anyone know a way of getting zero to be the first number on the x-axis? That is, not where it crosses y, but under the first data point.

Thanks...

2. jewlzs

jewlzs Corporal

Why??? The whole purpose of the xy is the intersecting corner.

By default is designed to start at zero or can be set to any higher number to fit your data requirements. So therefore the xy chart accounts data charting from the axis up and across the chart therefore if by changing the first tick mark to zero your axis must be start with a minus number and from your question I dont believe you are using less than whole numbers.

You are either using the wrong chart or about to make a professional mistake unless your presentation is to people who have no knowledge of axis charts. However, if you are sure this is what you want set your first x data cell blank or zero as with your first y data cell if you dont do both your data will not be correct. Then you will have to reformat all the tick marker labels for x and y manually.

3. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

Beats me. confused

I'm acting for my daughter who is putting together a chart for school. Apparently the first data point was taken at "zero" weeks, the second at "one" week and so on. When the chart is seen it has a "1" under the bar that shows the data from "zero"week.

I have suggested simply changing the data set from "zero to twelve weeks" to "one to thirteen weeks", but there's a time difference(I'm in Western Canada, she's in the UK) and she hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Thank you for your help, and Cat as well.

4. UKARMYCADET

UKARMYCADET Corporal

if she is in the uk just tell her it is fine. I am currently doing my GCSE's and we always use excel for coursework. Just lkeave it the same and she will get full marks on the graph (well no marks lost due to this anyway.)

The only reson she would want to start with zero is if she has a minus number included into the graph. But if there was a minus in the spreadsheet the computer would have automatically inserted it in anyway.

Hope i have helped out!

UKARMYCADET

5. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

Thanks UKAC. I told her she isn't being marked on computer skills.

6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I have attached an excel file which I believe answers your question. Since I can't upload .xls files I have changed the extension to .txt. Copy it and change it back to .xls.

I think your girl is using the wrong type of chart you have to use an
    xy scatter chart.

If you right click on the chart and choose source data and open the series tab you will see the option to choose both the ranges for the X and Y.axes.

You are correct in observing that you only get to choose the Y axis if you use ' line chart '

My X axis data is in the first row and my Y axix data in the second. It should be possible to simply substitute your values.

Hope this helps

Studio T

Attached Files:

7. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

Thanks Studiot. I'll send that on to her and she can see if she can use it. I appreciate your time.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds