Soundblaster X-Fi problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by montypy323, Mar 30, 2007.

1. montypy323

montypy323 Private E-2

I just built myself a new computer today.
    ASUS Extreme Striker Motherboard
    Pentium Core Duo 2.4 GHz
    2 GB DDR2 RAM
    EVGA nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768 MB
    Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme Gamer
    Maxtor 500 GB HDD
    Lite-On DVD Burner 20x

Anyway...installation went smoothly with Windows xp Pro, Video drivers, MB drivers. Then I went to Sound Card drivers and at 84% it froze on me...so I force restarted the comp. After that windows wouldn't start normally...the loading screen would just stay there forever, the blue bars were much slower than normal too. I tried reinstalling the drivers in safe mode, but to when I restarted in normal...same thing happen. Is there anything anyone can do to help. any advice would be great. Thanks

2. djlowe

djlowe Private First Class

You can try rolling the computer back via System Restore: Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore.

If the Creative driver install set a restore point itself before installing the drivers, try that one. Otherwise, try one made before the failed driver install.

If that works, and if you used the drivers that came with the sound card, check the version, then check Creative's site to see if there are newer ones.

If it doesn't, turn off the computer and remove the sound card - does it boot normally now? If it does, check the Device Manager - does Windows still "think" that the sound card is in the PC? If so, remove it and reboot.
    Uninstall the Creative software, if it appears in Add/Remove Programs. If it doesn't, check Creative's site to see if they have a standalone driver removal tool. If they do, download it and use it to remove the failed install. If not, you can try tracking down the drivers yourself and deleting them, but considering that it is a new build, I'd just wipe the drive and start over.

With XP, I prefer to set restore points myself before I install each component, as far as possible. Later, I go back and clean up the restore points when I'm sure that everything is working, and set one restore point for the complete PC as it exists with all hardware/software installed and configured.

Then, I image the drive.

Regards,

dj

3. montypy323

montypy323 Private E-2

There was only a small few roll back points because I had JUST built and setup this computer...no it didn't work. I ended up sending the card back and using my old Audigy 2 ZS gamer sound card. Computer works fine now. Thanks for the help though.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds