Change over from Win 98SE to XP ~ Good move or Baaaad ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by smokeydeadlegs, Mar 31, 2007.

1. smokeydeadlegs

smokeydeadlegs Private E-2

Hi guys, I wish to change over from Win 98 SE to XP would it be necessary or adviseable to re-format hard drive, currently all that comes up is that win 98 does not support XP.
    Thank's

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Yes its always wise to clean install a different or new OS, so yes boot to the XP CD ( need to change boot up order in Bios to 1st boot device CD )then it will give you the option of deleting the Win98 partition on the HD and allowing you to format, do choose NTFS as the file format.

but a big thing to check is if your motherboard andother hardware actually support XP and have drivers available.

run this as it will give you some basics on compatability http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/advisor.mspx its not comprehensive but will give you good clues, other places to check are your PC makers site if a Pre-Build liek Dell, Hp etc or the motherboard makers site like ASUS, INTEL Gigabyte etc for motherboard drivers for XP

3. smokeydeadlegs

Thanks for that Halo I will give it a go. Are there any advantages or disadvantages of running XP ?
    Cheers.

4. smokeydeadlegs

p.s I am currently running a 56K connection but considering going over to BB

5. smokeydeadlegs

p.s. I am currently running a 56K connection and have a sneaky feeling that it may be a problem running content advisor, could you tell me if I am right please.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Well that all depends on what you want out of your own personal PC experience, if Win98 is doing all the tasks you need out of your PC then their is no major reason to upgrade, however Win98 support has ended, so no more security updates, which in these times of malware its a potential issue ( this can be overcome with various small free security applications ).

If you find that their are some applications that will only run on XP and above that you would like to use then upgrading is your only option.

Disadvantages:

• May not be as quick as Win98 on your hardware as XP will need more memory and a quickish CPU http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/sysreqs.mspx these are Microsofts basic specs.. however for a nice running PC you would need and this is just my personal pref on a low end spec for XP, a 1.6 - 2ghz CPU, at least 1gb ram and a 64-128mb graphic card.
    • May not run some of the software you have and use, but some software could or may have updates for XP.

You should be ok, it maybe a little slow mind to download mind on dialup, the full package is 31mb ( not as stated 50 )

7. smokeydeadlegs

Thanks Halo, as always your genius shines thro', you really are a mine of info' fella.
    Thanks again, off now fully armed to do the business :major

8. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Be warned about half the world's CD drives were found to be incompatible with xP when it was first issued. If you half an older one be prepared to change it.

Look at

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314062

Studio T

9. I urge you to take another look at the software you've used with 98 and ask yourself if there is anything you can't do without, can't replace, or can't afford to replace.

I wish I had kept a Windows '98 machine to run older software. Instead, I upgraded to find some software I depended on would not run under XP. Worse, I had even thrown my original '98 disc away.

When upgrading your operating system, consider upgrading to a new computer and keeping the old one around for a while, at least until you're absolutely sure you have no need for any of the older software.

10. smokeydeadlegs

Hi Studiot, thanks for that, all advice is welcome, may be worth a re-think.

Thanks for your reply AnotherGrumpyComputerGuy, these are extremely valid points, I have another PC running XP that I have just bought but not have had much of a chance to use yet so I recon' you are right, I will keep this one on 98SE and leave the other on XP then I have the best of both worlds.
    I am just about to list my old Win 98 disc on e*ay, if you are interested let me know and I can give you the link.
    I really appreciate your help here and will take your advice, thanks again.

11. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Hope you find a buyer, I have plenty of windows disks of most flavours thanks.

Studio T

12. Gpa

Gpa Private E-2

I recently obtained an Dell XP OS. My wife uses it. In the meantime I was still using WIN98SE. I had been having trouble with it and would usually have to reformat and reinstall the 98 OS every three or four months because it would quit operating properly or quit all together. After MS stopped the support with the upgrades (I never understood that procedure) and I could get no answers what upgrades were valid and not valid up to the time the support stopped, I decided to just to reinstall the 98 without any upgrades. Instead of Internet explorer I downloaded Firefox browser and used web mail instead of Outlook Express. Since support of 98 was stopped until today I have not had any problems with the WIN98SE OS. The XP computer runs so slow that my wife now uses the 98 computer half the time. I don't understand why it works so great, so fast, and without any problems when the only change I made was to use Firefox instead of IE. Perhaps someone could explain that. It is like the greatest selling point for a newer OS was troubles caused by the older versions. So I would try this before upgrading. Like the guy said; if it meets your need and all you need is reliable operation this could be a better solution. I would still like to see the newer software that could operate on the older versions. They might even sell more of it.

13. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

You could of course go for a dual boot system and get the best of both worlds (which is what I did). If you then decide you like XP more than 98 (I still use 98 the most) you can switch over to that permanently. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds