.pdf icon association

Discussion in 'Software' started by Rivergoat, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Rivergoat

Rivergoat Private E-2

After some power glitches which caused other problems (despite a surge protector installed) I noticed that .pdf files lost their association. OK, I repointed them to Reader 7.0 and it works, but only the first time did the icons on the documents appear OK. After every other reboot the icons are generic, though still associate to Reader. If I point to Acrobat 5.0 the icons associate to that properly, but cannot reassociate Reader 7.0. Reinstall of that program wasn't the fix, nor is TweakUI's icon fix. Wondering how I can re-force the association of the document to the proper icon.

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

You might try # 4 (Repairs the Icon View) on the left-hand side here, http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

Steve

3. Rivergoat

Rivergoat Private E-2

I should have specified I'm running 2K, not XP (or Vista).

Interestingly the icon will appear OK if it is attached onto an email, but in a folder (or desktop it appears generic). I just dumped Reader 7.0 and loaded Reader 8.0 BTW. No difference in icon handling, though.

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

5. Rivergoat

Rivergoat Private E-2

Well, I messed around with it using some other little tweaks, and got them re-associated with the right icon. It's OK now....whew.

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Good deal. :)

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds