Stop error during defrag

Discussion in 'Software' started by hopperdave2000, Mar 31, 2007.

1. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I was defragging a laptop HD in safe mode and it was taking some time so I went about doing other things; I'm not going to sit and watch a defrag; I'd rather watch the paint dry or watch the grass grow ;) Anyway, when I looked back at PC about 10 or 15 minutes later, it was at a BSOD with the error number 0x000000F4. There was no file name listed. It said something like 'Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer' and a bunch of other stuff. The last line said 'Beginning dump of physical memory'. I looked at the MS Knowledge Base but of the 7 hits, nothing really applied to my situation. I've rebooted in normal mode and it seems OK. It actually seemed to boot a bit faster than before. I think I'll image the drive just in case it's failing, and I'll proceed from there. Any ideas or help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanx!

hopperdaev2000

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Why are you defragging in safe mode? Most defraggers are designed to run in normal mode because then instead of default drivers it can use all the proper hd/mother board specific drivers to move through the hd much faster.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

4. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I was defragging is safe mode because the PC was running too slow in normal mode. I started the defrag last night in normal mode and let it run for about 2hrs and it only got to 26%, so I stopped it, and started it again in safe mode. I'm running a diag on the drive right now, and I'll see what happens there.
    Adrynalyne- thanx for the link. I looked at it real quick a second ago, but I think I'll have to print it out, there's a alot stuff in there I'll have to look at more closely....

hopperdave2000

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Might also download a new defragger if your using the windows one, its slow as all get out.

6. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Well, I ran DFT (Hitachi's diag tool) and there are some bad sectors. So I run DFT's sector repair tool, and was told that the sectors could not be repaired, Defective Device Error Code 0X070 or something. So I'm currently backing up the data (pics, docs, music, etc) to a 200gb external USB drive. Hopefully I can get it all (there's ALOT of stuff to save!) before the drive craps out completely. The thing is, is this is a new HD, less than 4 months old. The previous HD (the original one that came installed when the PC was purchased) crashed too. Could it be that the laptop's IDE controller is crashing drives? The current HD is still under factory warranty, so a replacement is not a big deal, just a drag.... Why do drives keep crashing in this laptop?

hopperdave2000

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds