".DAT" & ".PF" files ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Hypr-Trubl, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Hypr-Trubl

Hypr-Trubl Private E-2

I'm a newbie here, so may I apollogize first for any oversights on my part.
    (but be kind enough to let me know them)
    ......Cool, no complaints already! ;=}

I'm starting out here with 2 hopefully simple questions regarding XP-Pro/SP2
    on an AMD-Athlon-3400+

1)
    "C:\windows\system32\data\...." has large amount of small files like "CTP4891W.DAT" & "CTP0221W.DAT".
    Anyone know what they're for? Some people are saying it's safe to delete these, some are not.

2)
    "C:\windows\Prefetch\....." also has large amount of files like "EULALYZER.EXE-047311D0.pf" and an ".ini" file as well.
    I'm told these are fully safe to delete, but I should re-boot right away. Is this so?

And are there any things I need to know if I do, to either dirs' files.
    No rush for answers, as long as they're accurate.

Thanks all, wicked site.

2. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

I think someone gave advice to someone else to empty their prefetch folder when they had a problem; search for threads with prefetch and empty and you might find that thread, although it may not be something you should do. Also, I'm fairly sure dat files are always data files - some can be deleted and some can't. Someone else more knowledgable should see this now and answer it since it's been "bumped" by me answering it.

All the best.

3. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

Deleting prefetch files normally accomplishes nothing except to make your programs load more slowly next time you use them. The files will be regenerated the next time you open the programs. Outdated prefetch files are deleted automatically after a while, and they aren't very large anyway, so there's really no point.

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

trubl huh? Welcome to Major Geeks! ;)

Question is why do you want to fiddle with thse files?

Disk cleanup will offer all the files that are safe to delete unless you know what you are doing or have a good reason.

Some .dat files log activity on the computer and users can to delete them to improve security.

http://www.systenance.com/

Studio T

5. Hypr-Trubl

Hypr-Trubl Private E-2

Thanks people, everyone that answered. I do appreciate everyones effort, for devoting the time and 'investing' in some help for other people. Clearly what this site is aimed at. Thanks.

Unfortunately, ....sorry - I think I'm living up to my name (HypR-TrubL), but the actual issue (question) was not really answered.
    Though I appreciate everyones concern over my system's potential destruction, I'm not stupid either...and I learn faster than most.
    (with age, comes 'some' common sense). But then U's don't me, you're just trying to be cautious and safe, I understand. Like I said, I appreciate those concerns. And I never do anything without "BackUp". This is an example.

All I wanted was expert/accurate answers to my curiosity questions. Call it adding correct info to 'my knowledge base'.

One of many reasons for asking, was that many 'cleaners' out there (SysMechanic for example, and TONS others), all offer options to search for and remove 'prefetch' and/or '.dat' files.

It's not knowledge which is harmful, ...it's the lack thereof (or the wrong knowledge.) ;=}

So I'm still hoping for those answers at this point.

6. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

if they are not causing you any trouble, then dont delete them.
    many programs offer you the option to clean out your Prefetch because it helps improve performance. But this is untrue. Heres a useful site on why not to clean out your Prefetch periodically.

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000743.html

7. Hypr-Trubl

Hypr-Trubl Private E-2

To Bladesofhalo:

Thankyou pal. I never laughed so hard in a long time, over some of the most thick-headed tunnel-vision thinking I'd seen in a long time. On the other hand I wanted to curse most of them down too. But really, it was 'beyond interesting'. And...you were responsible for helping me to answer my own question. That...is the sign of true help. Answers easily gained are just as easily forgotten.
    Truth is, I spent 2 hours+ reading those posts, cross-checking, learning and confirming. I'm no rocket scientist nor am I a 'fence post', but I caught on to the logic and process of prefetching in the early posts. Yet logic escapes me why others far more computer literate in this area than I...could not &/or would not.

What else was so astounding was the fact that no one could accept or understand the fact that 'baseline' protocols or perfectly equal methods of
    testing and timing had to be employed for accuracy of result on both sides of the 'equation' (pro & con).
    So much time and effort was wasted there by so many people who simply could not even get to first base, that being 'agreeing on baseline testing method'. THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE 'PRIME MANDATE' IN ANY TESTING SCENARIO, whether it be for toothpaste or nanotechnology.

Again...thank you, seriously, for understanding my question. Have a good one!

Now I just need help with answers for the other remaining question. Isn't interaction, communication and learning fun ?! ;=}

8. mokujin776

mokujin776 Private E-2

I had a really good read on this, very detail, and very useful information.
    Thanks.

RM files

9. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Roger that Mokujin and Welcome to Major Geeks.

Thanks for the links, Blades of Halo

Studio

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds