Upgrading OS

Discussion in 'Software' started by radstar, Apr 3, 2007.

1. radstar

radstar Private E-2

I was wondering if anyone new if I could install XP or Vista over win 2000 pro without having the original win2000 Certs?
    Help is much appreciated

2. Bogus283

Bogus283 Private E-2

if you've got the windows xp or vista key it shouldn't be a problem. just put the disk in, turn on the computer and follow the on screen instructions.

3. radstar

radstar Private E-2

What even if I cant find the certificates or the details of the old OS? I was thinking I had to delete everything and buy a whole new os but if I can just go ahead and upgrade sweet!!!

4. Bogus283

Bogus283 Private E-2

I've never had to use the old key to upgrade an operating system. like i said, only the new one is important. don't lose it. though if you do find the old 2000 key and if you've still go the install disk you can put it on something else, though i cant see why you'd want to.

if you're really concerned about having the old key there are programs that will decrypt it from your registry. One such program can be found here and there are lots of others.

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Depends on what kind of windows copy you purchased, and if it supports upgrading.

6. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

I've used actual Upgrade versions of Windows 95, 98 and 98SE and they each (from memory) first demanded that I put in a disk that would prove I had a qualifying version to upgrade from. After putting in the install disk for the previous FULL version, the Upgrade version would install.

Full versions don't ask you to prove you have a qualifying version to upgrade from because they are a Full version. Upgrade versions were generally a bit cheaper so of course everyone wanted to buy them. But you had to then prove that you were eligible for an Upgrade version.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds