CD version of Windows XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cherokee, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Cherokee

Cherokee Private E-2

My work laptop failed last Friday. It failed to boot completely. Ended up being a bad memory module. It wouldn't load the desktop. It just stopped loading the OS. I had a month-old back up but wanted to get to my latest files and dump them to an external drive.

When I took my laptop to a support tech, the first thing he did was to insert a CD and boot the Laptop from the CD. It loaded a scaled down version of XP and he then transfered the files to my USB external drive. Sweet!!!

I asked him about the CD and he said it was "Burts PE." I have searched the web for it and came up empty. Can anyone give me better information on a Windows XP version that boots to a desktop from a CD and supports USB and/or Ethernet?

2. flankadank

flankadank Private First Class

3. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Or you can try www.ubcd4win.com
    It's the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows and it's VERY similar to a Bart's PE CD, but it's loaded with all kinds of diagnostics, antivirus, file recovery, and other programs. It ROCKS. It can be kind of confusing building the CD, so print out the instructions, follow them carefully, and have your XP CD handy.

hopperdave2000

4. Cherokee

Cherokee Private E-2

Thanks!!

I will look at both options. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds