Upgrade from XP Home to Pro Issue.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Spence, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Spence

Spence Private E-2

I know there have been similar threads to this in the past but I've looked at them and none of them seem to have any resolution. Here is my problem: I wanted to upgrade from Home to XP. My dad brought home a burned XP Pro disc(not just upgrade disc) and we started to upgrade. Before anything started working we needed to install a RAID driver. It was installed and then setup started working. When it was installing hardware an error came up saying my video card was not digitally signed, I ignored it. At the point in setup where it is copying files from the CD it started coming up with all these errors saying it could not copy certain files. One of them was policman.dl_ and there were others but I forget them now. It have me the option to continue installing and even though I'd choose no it would continue anyways. Now my computer will get to the loading Windows XP screen and just reboot and continue this forever. I can still get into safe mode. I checked event viewer and it said there was an error with sptd.sys, with Side By Side(VC80.crt) and with DCOM. Please help, I really need my computer back and without having to format the hard drive. Here are my computer specs:

320 Gb Hard Drive(I forget the make, but I know it's SATA)
    Socket AM2 Asus m2n4 SLI
    AMD 64 x2 3800+ Dual Core
    1Gb of RAM
    nVidia BFG GeForce 7900 256mb GT OC video card
    Windows Home SP2

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Sorry Spence and welcome to Major Geeks. I'm afraid you can't 'upgrade' from XP home to XP pro - period.

You can obviously format and install a fresh copy, provided you address the license issues.

As you can get to safe mode, I suggest you copy off your data, perhaps to a separate partition on one of your drives, reformat and reinstall one version of XP or the other.

Studio T

3. Spence

Spence Private E-2

Damn, that sucks. Thanks for the reply though, I guess I'll partition and do that then. Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds