cannot defrag c drive. please help!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by pauldalton01, Apr 4, 2007.

1. pauldalton01

pauldalton01 Private E-2

on my windows xp 2002 ver.2 i cannot defrag my comp. okay, so it's an old comp. sorta beat up and maybe a little dusty-- but i kinda like this old p.o.s.

when i hit the analyze button, i get an error message--
    chkdsk f/. has been scheduled to run on this volume. please run chkdsk f/.

tried to run "chkdsk f/." from run in the start menu and get nothing in return.

got a pretty good amount of fear that this drive may be corrupted. can anyone help?

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Boot to your WinXP install CD, and press 'r' for the Recovery Console at the first screen that asks... at the 'DOS' prompt, type "chkdsk /r" without the quotes. Be patient; it can take some time. Reboot to Windows and try to defrag again. You can always try a 3rd party defragger (IOBit, DiskKeeper, O&O, Auslogics, etc)...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265/en-us = link to CHKDSK how-to & info...

hopperdave2000

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds