Free OS preference?

Discussion in 'Software' started by tigertom520, Apr 5, 2007.

1. tigertom520

tigertom520 Private E-2

I have had it with MicroSucks. :kissmy I have absolutely no :*** intentions to purchase Vista. I still have unresolved issues with my 1 copy of :crap XP.
    Needless to mention I have 3 PCs in one room, 2 PCs in living room, 2 PCs in bed room, and a laptop. That's 8 x ??....you do the math on your own thread, I'm not interested.rolleyes
    2 are older 98 machines. 5 of them were designed for XP though they are running 98 SE. 1 is near new and will run nothing but XP and does not even recognize a lot of older software.

My questions are which free OS do you prefer and why. Do you foresee any compilations running it on such a verity of machines.

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

3. Sailor

Sailor First Sergeant

AFAIK the best family of free OS is Linux. Hundreds of distributions to pick the one that suits you best. Other geeks can provide more info about Linux.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

If you have issues with Microsoft operating systems then good luck with Linux!!! Equally no one is forcing you to buy Vista so thats a non-issue, but a personal one if you dont like MSFT then thats fine, see below for my choice.

But my fav is Kubuntu, one of the easier *nix's to get used to and has a nice GUI. Also worth as a test searching out some of thr Live linux CDs which run off the CD, these will give you good idea if your PC will be OK with a *nix, I'm about to try Foresight Live Distro, but Kubuntu do a live CD.

Issues with Linux, well drivers will be a goodun for various PCs, then its actually getting it to install and run properly, something microsoft do fairly well out of box, but sadly new operating systems bring issues with compability, which is not all microsofts problem contrary to popular belief, its more the lazy *** 3rd parties that cannot be bothered to update their apps, as they are more worried about selling you a newer version that works with latest OS.

You will also most likely miss your favoured applications as they wont run with Linux, so you will have to find alternatives.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Fell free to peruse our Linux forum. I know I've pimped out Sabayon a ton, even if I don't use it :p

Truthfully though, as mentioned above, if you can't get a handle over Windows, then Linux will hold no answers for you. Its more work. A lot more work.

When things break, there is nothing graceful about it.

6. tigertom520

tigertom520 Private E-2

Mmmmmm Mmmm Excuse me I did not want to be rude trying to talk with my mouth full. This is meaty!!! Whew, I know is I'm probably not a geek and I don't have woot!
    Thanks for the link I got it on DVD now. Can you read my future....Linux threads.
    I may not be as down on MS as I appear. I have some what been defending them for years and running with blinders on. Which kind of explains why I know so little about other OS. And I agree MS does do well out of the box. And a lot of the troubles do go back to third parties not getting off their ***. Can't that be said for MAC and Linux as well?.I have learned through experience and have had lots of opportunity. So the loading does not concern me as much as the missed software...my future is getting closer. And do I need a driver if I'm not going anywhere? Hummm I think I just crashed into another thread....
    Meanwhile I need to chew this *nix thing some more. What little I have found about it sounds interesting.
    So thank you all this is very informative. And Adrynalyne your blog was very funny too.

7. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

BTW- what the heck is 'woot' ??? I've been seeing it around for awhile now, and I have NO idea what it means! :eek: And what about 'pwnd' ?? What's that all about?

(Yeah- I know I'm not contributing here, but what the heck, at least I'll learn something, right? ;) )

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

As far as the pwned hopperdave, I can give you a link for that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn

The woot part, I also have no clue. I did find a link for it also. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=woot

tigertom: Linux has been ok for me as far as a folding machine, or just a web browsing type computer. I constantly bang my head against a steep learning curve using it. It took me a couple of months to get folding working on the Linux machines. And yep, I got it running with the mouse, the CLI freaks me out. I am trying to learn though.

E

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Kind of a goofy story there. Originally Kodo made my title say, 'Have you tried Safe Mode?' when I was doing Microst Windows XP support. Then, as I moved into the nix world, Kodo changed it to 'Got root?' Then, somewhere along the line he felt it would be cute to change it to 'Got Woot?'.

I don't have enough moderator privileges to change it back, so its stuck there for now, till I Kodo decides to change it again ;)

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

tigertom520

I'd be tempted to try out a few of the Live Distros and see if you like how they run and feel, this way not only does it show your PC and hardware will run but it doesnt destroy your windows install as these Live CDs run as they say off the CD, yes they will be a tad slower than having it on your HD but at least its a safe way to try before you leap in, if you like one then most do offer a route to install it on your HD from the Live CDs

a few of the ones I have played with and no doubt some of our *nixgeeks will chime in with others.

http://www.kubuntu.org/
    http://www.gnome.org/
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
    http://www.foresightlinux.org/

Just look for the Live CD downloads

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds